FFS 9.5 does not run on Mint Cinnamon 18.2

Get help for specific problems

LateJunction

This appears to be very similar to the entry in this forum of 6 Nov. 2017 (FFS 9.5 does not run on Ubuntu 17.04), for which I cannot see any solution.

I'm running Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, with kernel 4.10.0-40-generic. I can download and unpack either the Ubuntu or Debian versions of 9.5 64 bit, but double-clicking (as instructed elsewhere) on the FreeFileSync file object within the FreeFileSync folder produces no result that I can detect: no error message, no output of any sort.

What am I doing wrong?

btw the instructions on how to install FFS, for people who are only users of this app (i.e not people with in-depth Linux skills, especially with the CLI), are so well hidden that I cannot find them. Where are they?
Site Admin

Zenju

Probably same issue: viewtopic.php?t=4813
The silent "do nothing" on erros unfortunately is standard (mis-)behavior on most Linux desktops. Thous use the command line for troubleshooting.

LateJunction

As I said: "This appears to be very similar to the entry in this forum of 6 Nov. 2017 (FFS 9.5 does not run on Ubuntu 17.04), for which I cannot see any solution."

LateJunction

I also said something about "...people who are only users of this app (i.e not people with in-depth Linux skills, especially with the CLI)...
Site Admin

Zenju

Yes, that's what you said.

LateJunction

Then I take it that there is no solution to this problem and FFS 9.5 is unable to run on Mint Cinnamon 18.2. Will you be updating your web-site to advise users who download this version that it cannot be used in that environment?

Jjmboni

I'm going to ask a stupid question:
I've been trying to get this installed on Linux Mint. I ran the app and got this error:

./FreeFileSync: error while loading shared libraries: libpng16.so.16: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So I downloaded and installed libpng16.so.16. Its located here:
htpcuser@htpclx /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib $ ls
libpng16.a libpng16.so libpng16.so.16.32.0 libpng.la pkgconfig
libpng16.la libpng16.so.16 libpng.a libpng.so

But when I run FreeFileSync I still get that error!

How can I confirm that libpng16.so.16 has been installed? I've run ldconfig but that doesn't seem to do anything. Is there anything else I can check to see if FreeFileSync actually sees libpng16.so.16?

I am a Linux newbie but a Windows expert so I could use some help. Thanks!

Jjmboni

Nevermind, I found a website that showed me step by step. The following commands got FreeFileSync installed on my Linux Cinnamon Mint machine:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:freefilesync/ffs
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install freefilesync

FreeFileSync is now working for me!

LateJunction

"FreeFileSync is now working for me!"

What version of Mint Cinnamon are you running ?

Jjmboni

According to /etc/linuxmint/info I'm running Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa with kernel version 3.19.0-32-generic.

Wow, I had no idea I was on an older version!