The Donation Edition is much too expensive

Discuss new features and functions

Heinz

The Donation Edition, where you get just a month update for 5 €, if there is even an update in that month, is way too expensive.
Especially, because much of the updates just bring minor use to the majority of the users.

E.g. for 50€ You get an professional backup software with all updates - not just two years of updates with unknown usage for your case:
http://www.acronis.com/de-de/personal/computer-backup/

https://freefilesync.org/faq.php#donation-edition

P.S: I already donated about 50€.

Garbonzo17

Agreed totally... I always keep the latest version, and really I am fine for what I use it for from any version back to v4, v5, v6 etc... they all are fine for what I use it for. And most of them do the features that are now only in the donation version like Portable, and the AD stuff has always been a pain to either find a site that had builds without that extra ads during install, etc... but they were to be found on some sites all the way through I think v6... maybe v.7)
I use it on a couple machines, all in my house, personal edition, etc.. but do like the prospect of silent installs and automatic updates for Windows... always hated having to manually download it, then dodge all the 3rd party apps that change regularly.

TL;DR
Lower prices for the yearly versions and offer a lifetime version for around the prices of the current... maybe a expensive commercial use version etc.. Kinda the way SARDU is offering their PRO version.
sardu.pro/shop (<-cut & paste works in most browsers)

Just my $.02 on the situation.... I would like the minor features the PRO offers, its just not worth $25/year as long as I can do the work to install the FREE version. Its just not enough feature to make the high annual (and CRAZY monthly) prices worthwhile..

Cheers,
-G

OctavioS

I totally agree. The pricing is obscene with this app. Payed once, because i wasnt aware of the time period, but never i will pay again. Already seraching for alternatives.

OctavioS

That would be starting point. 5 euros would entitle you to 5 updates. Fair enough. Ditch the time period. 100 euros would entitle you to 100 updates. I'm sure more people would donate. Like this gives the impression that the developer is a money hog.

Tony.32

I disagree with the sentiment of these postings - £20 a year for such a well supported and efficient piece of software seems reasonable to me.

Zimmster

OMG, you cheap ducks! FreeFileSync Donation Edition is 1 USD, ONE roll of toilet PAPER.
If you need new features, 6 months later you donate again ONE ducking dollar and so on....

leobard

I really like the FreeFileSync pricing model and I like to pay 20€ a year, the price the developers ask.

As a developer myself, I know how much work it is to keep software alive and I am happy that you do it.

I also trust you to know which price you need to keep up the good work.

@FreeFileSync devs: don't worry about pricing and working on the pricing model. Focus on features, bugfixes, stabilities.

Louiscar

I would like to vote for this pricing model too. I like it and it's not obscene or over priced given that the donate version you get is valid forever! Only updates are limited by a time factor and for a few EU you can update to the latest versions for 3, 6 , 12 months and you can choose when to donated next by looking at the change log and deciding if the changes have been significant enough for you.

So I have to say the criticisms are very harsh considering other pricing models and this developer is hard working and updates frequently.

Also when I find software as good as this I'd donate even if it didn't give a special version just to keep the developer incentivised to keep it going.

acg

Please stop talking nonsense. You guys use freefilesync for free, but don't want to support development. With one dollar you receive the donation version. Don't be miserable. A dollar is nothing, not enough to buy a coffee at starbucks

David Morrow

Unfortunately, the interwebs has gotten people used to getting way too much software for free or cheap. Back in the "old days" we paid plenty for our software and had nowhere near the selection or the quality. Just reflect upon how much value that you receive from FFS and the other cheap / free software that you are using and pay just a fraction of that and I bet the developers will be thrilled because there is no middleman taking half.

pdofak

So let me get this straight;
You can use this software for free.
It turns out there are many other apps that do not work as well as this one.
If you choose to you can donate to the developer and you get to choose the amount.
And some of you choose to gripe about the cost.
Give me a break

Louiscar

Seriously??? You are replying to a post which started in 2016. The OP might not even be alive now - who knows. Leave this thread alone please his beef was 8 years ago

Give me a break

pdofak

Still applies today IMHO.
But you are right, I could have used my time better elsewhere.

OctavioS

Still applies today IMHO.
But you are right, I could have used my time better elsewhere. pdofak, 08 Nov 2022, 18:23
It happens... now you have to move on and learn that next time you should be quiet.

OctavioS

That would be starting point. 5 euros would entitle you to 5 updates. Fair enough. Ditch the time period. 100 euros would entitle you to 100 updates. I'm sure more people would donate. Like this gives the impression that the developer is a money hog. OctavioS, 14 Feb 2019, 16:36
This is the way it should be, that's why I never purchased again and glad I didn't.
Over n out for the next 5 years.