Freefilesync doesn't work on Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon

Get help for specific problems

Andrewin

Hello!

My OS is Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64-bit. Cinnamon version is 2.8.6. Linux Kernel is 3.19.0-32-generic.
I downloaded Freefilesync using link https://freefilesync.org/download/ojw26zat1rdojax/FreeFileSync_7.8_Ubuntu_15.10_64-bit.tar.gz

After first run I got errors:
./FreeFileSync: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.9' not found (required by ./FreeFileSync)
./FreeFileSync: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.21' not found (required by ./FreeFileSync)
./FreeFileSync: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.20' not found (required by ./FreeFileSync)
I tried to fix it:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-toolchain-r/test
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gcc-4.9 g++-4.9
Then I launched Freefilesync again and got other error:
./FreeFileSync: relocation error: ./FreeFileSync: symbol _ZNSt7__cxx1112basic_stringIwSt11char_traitsIwESaIwEE9_M_createERmm, version GLIBCXX_3.4.21 not defined in file libstdc++.so.6 with link time reference
How can I fix it?

Best regards, Andrey.

l-luk

Just try to use Debian release. It works for me on Ubuntu 14.04 pretty well.

macmike

I had the same problem and using the Debian release worked for me - cheers

Andrewin

Sorry, but advices to use another distroes are bad. It's the same as advice to change all house when lamp isn't work in one room. I need to solve my problem, I willn't change my distro.

Best regards, Andrey.

evoblade

They aren't asking you to change your distro, they are asking you to change the file you download. The Debian version of the file has lower version numbers required. The version numbers required by the current Ubuntu distribution (15.10) are much higher than the LTS branch (14.04). Mint is built from Ubuntu LTS. Therefore the Debian version should work.

Andrewin

Oh, sorry - I really didn't understand these answers... I went to download page, downloaded Debian release and try to run Freefilesync. I got error
./FreeFileSync: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.20' not found (required by ./FreeFileSync)
Then I tried this advice, but it couldn't help me (I didn't make dist-upgrade). I got the same error. Maybe I need to revert all changes made by me before?

Best regards, Andrey.

Andrewin

Hello!
Just try to use Debian release. It works for me on Ubuntu 14.04 pretty well.l-luk
I reinstalled Linux Mint approximatelly a month ago and tried to launch freefilesync for Debian on Linux Mint. It works fine now! My problem is solved now. Many thanks for all!

Best regards, Andrey.

Andrewin

A little important addition:

On my home linux mint machine I got error about nonexisting GLIBCXX_3.4.20 again. But now I found how to fix it:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
First time I didn't use dist-upgrade command but only after dist-upgrade freefilesync starts to work fine.

After that freefilesync works nice.

Best regards, Andrey.

robertocabellon

On Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon, I've fixed it by installing the libstdc++6 package from the mentioned ppa repository:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libstdc++6

robertocabellon

On Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon, I've fixed it by installing the libstdc++6 package from the mentioned ppa repository:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libstdc++6
robertocabellon
Works with Debian 8.4 package:
FreeFileSync_8.1_Debian_8.4_64-bit

Doesn't work with Ubuntu 16.04 package:
FreeFileSync_8.1_Ubuntu_16.04_64-bit