Cannot write modification time: Error Code 95 (EOPNOTSUPP)

Get help for specific problems

gebakker50

A couple of days I upgraded my computer from Linux Mint 17.3 to Linux Mint 18. Before the shift I used FFS 7.8 installed through the FFS repository everything worked fine. After the upgrade I ¨installed¨ FFS 8.2 by unpacking the downloaded file in a folder I placed in the Personal Folder. FFS works fine on the computer and external drives linked by usb to it. Sync over the locale area network gives the following message:
10:00:06    Info    Synchronising folder pair: [Mirror ->]
            /home/ge/Documenten
            /run/user/1000/gvfs/smb-share:server=fritz-nas,share=fritz.nas/ST2000DM-001-9YN164-05/Documenten
10:00:06    Info    Updating file "/run/user/1000/gvfs/smb-share:server=fritz-nas,share=fritz.nas/ST2000DM-001-9YN164-05/Documenten/NewDatabase.kdbx"
10:00:11    Error    Cannot write modification time of "/run/user/1000/gvfs/smb-share:server=fritz-nas,share=fritz.nas/ST2000DM-001-9YN164-05/Documenten/NewDatabase.kdbx_0.ffs_tmp".
        Error Code 95: Bewerking wordt niet ondersteund (open)
10:00:11    Error    Synchronisation stopped
I tried other versions but the result was the same.
I discovered FFS a couple of months ago and I was very satisfied with this beautiful program.

Hopefully someone can help me with some thoughts on how to resolve this problem.

Kind regards

Gerbert
Site Admin

Zenju

This looks like a limitation of fritz.nas, but maybe there is a workaround. I assume the problem is reproducible? Does "touch" give the same error or does it work for a similar file on the device? If it works, send me a trace, like:

strace touch /run/user/1000/gvfs/smb-share:server=fritz-nas,share=fritz.nas/ST2000DM-001-9YN164-05/Documenten/somefile.txt &> ~/Desktop/trace.txt

gebakker50

Dear Zenju,

Thank you for your response. The modification time problem is not limited to the fritz.nas but is a general problem with my devices.
This is the example of my old laptop a Compaq-Presario also using Linux Mint 18.

20:41:47 Info Synchronizing folder pair: [Update >]
/home/ge/Openbaar
/run/user/1000/gvfs/smb-share:server=compaq-presario,share=openbaar
20:41:47 Info Creating file "/run/user/1000/gvfs/smb-share:server=compaq-presario,share=openbaar/somefile.txt"
20:42:20 Error Cannot write modification time of "/run/user/1000/gvfs/smb-share:server=compaq-presario,share=openbaar/somefile.txt_4.ffs_tmp".
Error Code 95: Bewerking wordt niet ondersteund (open)
20:42:20 Error Synchronization stopped

Attached I send the trace file for Compaq laptop

Kind regards

Gerbert
Attachments
traceCompaq.txt
(2.55 KiB) Downloaded 289 times

gebakker50

Dear Zenju,

Thank you very much for such a swift solution. FreeFileSync 8.3 beta1 & 2 give the same error code as before. The FreeFileSync 8.3 beta3 did the trick, I tested it on all my devices and every one of them worked perfectly well.
Again thanks a lot

Kind regards

Gerbert
Site Admin

Zenju

The problem should be fixed in the FFS 8.4 beta. Let me know if there are any issues:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/43cglc6i467l1tw/FreeFileSync_8.4_beta_Ubuntu_16.04_64-bit.tar.gz

atrax

Hello Zenju,
I am not sure the issue is the same but I encounter the same "Error Code 95" by trying to synchronise files with a MTP device (Android phone) on Fedora. Could you please provide FreeFileSync 8.4 beta for Fedora/OpenSuse to check if it fixes the problem ?
Otherwise, don't you intend to release beta versions directly on the download section to encourage large-scale beta testing ?

Hodgy

Hello Zenju,
I am not sure the issue is the same but I encounter the same "Error Code 95" by trying to synchronise files with a MTP device (Android phone) on Fedora. Could you please provide FreeFileSync 8.4 beta for Fedora/OpenSuse to check if it fixes the problem ?
Otherwise, don't you intend to release beta versions directly on the download section to encourage large-scale beta testing ?atrax
Hi Atrax.
I have exactly the same problem, trying to sync from linux machine to android using MTP. It doesn't always produce the error, though I'm not yet sure why. Have you found a solution or workaround?

Thanks.
Ian
Site Admin

Zenju

> MTP

What error message does FreeFileSync show exactly? Does copying to the device work in general (including file modification times)?

emvedeesje

Can i put my reply here in this topic?

I encounter the same "error code 95" when i try to synchronise files to an Android 6.0 MTP device from system Ubuntu 16.04.1

Here is the complete message:
De modificatie-tijd van "/run/user/1000/gvfs/mtp:host=%5Busb%3A001%2C006%5D/MicroSD/AndereData/Testmap/Andere/D-Sachsen.ov2.ffs_tmp" kan niet geschreven worden.
Foutcode 95: Bewerking wordt niet ondersteund (open)

With FFS 8.5.1 detection of differences works, and automatic creation of maps work also, but copying files not.
From Ubuntu OS i can normally create a map, delete files, copy files on the extra SD-card in the phone.

Is this the same problem?
Site Admin

Zenju

I'm able to reproduce error code 95 (utimensat returning EOPNOTSUPP) in the context of MTP, but this is due to a limitation of the Android MTP device (= does not allow changing modification time).

Maybe this should be solved by making copying of modification times optional, e.g. for the "compare by size only" variant.

ClarusAD

Hello,
I've the same problem : FFS can read files details on an SD-Card (of an MTP device) mounted via gvfs, but is unable to write on it !
For infos, the file explorer and the terminal can both write on the card here :
/run/user/1000/gvfs/mtp:host=%5Busb%3A001%2C005%5D/Card/
I'm using ubuntu 16.04 and an adroid 5 phone.
So, how can we do ?
Thank-you for the help.

Mike Austin

This seems to be the same issue that I have - see viewtopic.php?t=4190. I would like to see an option not overwrite the date and time, if possible.
Site Admin

Zenju

Failure to set modification times will be treated as a warning instead of an error in the next FFS 9.0.