Recycle Bin!!

Get help for specific problems

hollies

Just trying to sync my pc and laptop music files using FreeFileSync for the first time. In the absence of any instructions, I have the following problem.

I have stopped the sync because of the follwiong warning message, "The Recycle Bin is not available for the following folders. Files will be deleted poermenantly" and then the file containing all of my music on my laptop is identified. ie \\laptop\My Music\

Does this delete the complete folder on the laptop. If so, then the programme is not of any value because there are items on the laptop that I want to add to the desktop and vice versa.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Rob
Site Admin

Zenju

Of course not. Is the warning message unclear in some way?

hollies

No, the message is very clear and specific

"The Recycle Bin is not available for the following folders. Files will be deleted permanently" then on the next line is my main music folder \\laptop\My Music\
Site Admin

Zenju

So what do you suggest as an alternative message text?

srjones67

Is the folder located on another drive other than the system drive in your laptop?

hollies

Here is the message attached
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (41.91 KiB) Viewed 5103 times

srjones67

Looks like you have it as a network drive. Recycle bin doesn't work for network files i believe.

hollies

Zenju - What would I suggest? I know nothing about the programme which is why I am asking for help.

All I want to know is what the message actually means. Will my music folder be deleted as the message implies.

srjones67 - No, the folder is on my C drive of the laptop. It's only drive on there.

hollies

srjones67 - Yes I am trying to sync the music files on my laptop and main PC. They are connected via a network.
Site Admin

Zenju

Zenju - What would I suggest? I know nothing about the programme which is why I am asking for help.

All I want to know is what the message actually means. Will my music folder be deleted as the message implies.

srjones67 - No, the folder is on my C drive of the laptop. It's only drive on there.hollies
> All I want to know is what the message actually means. Will my music folder be deleted as the message implies.

Already answered this in my first reply. So the next question is why you think the message implies that the whole folder would be deleted. Hence my question how the message should be reworded.

hollies

I have 70gb of music and want them to be the same on each drive so that when I am away from home I can be sure I have everything with me should I need it.

hollies

Sorry Zenju, when a statement says "The Recycle Bin is not available for the following folders. Files will be deleted permanently", I would expect it to delete files permanently because it cannot use the recycle bin. Further, when it also states that the file to be deleted is my main music file, I would also expect it to delete that file.

Obviously. that is not what I want and it would be disastrous. That is why I am trying to seek clarification.

srjones67

It's telling you that you are trying to sync 2 folders one of them being remote. If during that process there are files that need to be deleted on the remote folder they will just be deleted because the recycle bin isn't available for remote folders. Is it a mirror sync?
Site Admin

Zenju

Sorry Zenju, when a statement says "The Recycle Bin is not available for the following folders. Files will be deleted permanently", I would expect it to delete files permanently because it cannot use the recycle bin. Further, when it also states that the file to be deleted is my main music file, I would also expect it to delete that file.

Obviously. that is not what I want and it would be disastrous. That is why I am trying to seek clarification.hollies
Again, what do you propose as an alternative text? I'm asking, because I don't see how it can be misunderstood. The text is saying that recycle bin is not available and that files will be permanently deleted. It doesn't say that the hole folder below will be permanently deleted.

hollies

Again, what do you propose as an alternative text? I'm asking, because I don't see how it can be misunderstood. The text is saying that recycle bin is not available and that files will be permanently deleted. It doesn't say that the hole folder below will be permanently deleted.Zenju
No, but it very much implies it. I don't want to delete anything whatsoever. I just want to move some files one way and other files the other so that both folders are identical. Why does it want to delete anything? I want to sync the folder, not prune them! And if it is only going to delete "some" files from the folder, why does it clearly state that the folder will be deleted?

Please accept the fact that I have only seen the programme 2 hours ago and that there are no clear instructions so when a message like this appears, it can be quite worrying to think that the programme is going to delete a crucial folder.

hollies

It's telling you that you are trying to sync 2 folders one of them being remote. If during that process there are files that need to be deleted on the remote folder they will just be deleted because the recycle bin isn't available for remote folders. Is it a mirror sync?srjones67
If a mirror sync means I want both folders to be identical, then yes. I don't want anything at all deleting. Any deletions I do make will be done in windows.

srjones67

No a mirror is just what it says, it will make a mirror copy of the left to the right which will possibly delete some files on the right. what does it say on your sychronize button? mirror, 2-way etc.

hollies

No a mirror is just what it says, it will make a mirror copy of the left to the right which will possibly delete some files on the right. what does it say on your sychronize button? mirror, 2-way etc.srjones67
It says Synchronize <- Two way ->

hollies

I have just had a thought. Again, it is the first time I have used FFS and as there are no instructions it may be I have done this wrong. There are certain things that I dont want to sync at this time and I have removed the tick from the box. Is this why it is trying to delete some items?

srjones67

OK, it looks like it is seeing that one of the drives is remote and it's just a cautionary message that if any file on the remote machine has to be deleted it won't go to the Recycle bin because is not available for remote files. But Zenju can correct me if i'm wrong, I don't believe any files should get deleted in a 2-way.

srjones67

Ah the missing link!

hollies

Ah the missing link!srjones67
??

I take it you mean it's me then!!

srjones67

That's my guess. I would run the 2-way compare and don't un-check anything and see what message appears then.

hollies

Yep, that's what I will do.

I noticed a couple of glitches with track names etc when I was looking through the list so I unticked them thinking the prog would just leave them alone.

I'll give it a go tomorrow,. I'll post the results.

Many thanks for your help.
Site Admin

Zenju

No, but it very much implies it. I don't want to delete anything whatsoever. I just want to move some files one way and other files the other so that both folders are identical. Why does it want to delete anything? I want to sync the folder, not prune them! And if it is only going to delete "some" files from the folder, why does it clearly state that the folder will be deleted?

Please accept the fact that I have only seen the programme 2 hours ago and that there are no clear instructions so when a message like this appears, it can be quite worrying to think that the programme is going to delete a crucial folder.hollies
I think my question was pretty clear: What message text do you propose instead? Or is this nothing more than an unconstructive rant?