What is the % on LHS of Overview box/window?

Get help for specific problems

katzinaz

Hello,

I just set up FreeFileSync, and set it off to copy files from a folder to a
backup drive. Simple and it appeared to run without any errors.

However, I noticed on the left side of the Overview window, there are
percentages listed next to each file folder. The colored bars behind the
percentages are purple, green and yellow. My initial thought was that
those % were progress indicators, and I should anticipate each to be at 100%
when the sync is complete. However that isn't happening. Here is a
screenshot.

What do these % mean, and how can I tell if the synch completed
successfully, or whether it skipped any files?

Thank you

Kathy Prince
Attachments
image001.png
image001.png (14.6 KiB) Viewed 2176 times

dani349

Yes ! this is such a good question, just what I was scratching my head for myself.

And the helpfile makes no mention of it either. The weirdest thing I think so far is that when syncing 1 drive to an other completely EMPTY drive, the bar still shows 95%...I would have expected it then to be either a 100 percent or 0...

This very much justifies/requires an answer.

FURTHERMORE: FFS shows the the destination drive is supposed to be 506GB....even though the source is only 505GB...>_> Why ??
Site Admin

Zenju

The percentage represents the file size relative to the other items in the folder, see the values in the "size" column.

dani349

The percentage represents the file size relative to the other items in the folder, see the values in the "size" column.Zenju
That doesn't explain why it shows 95% when there is nothing there...
Site Admin

Zenju

That doesn't explain why it shows 95% when there is nothing there...dani349
What do you mean?

dani349

What do you mean?Zenju
Well as I explained above, when I copy/sync to a drive thats completely >empty<. How can it still show 95% compared to nothing...?

You already said it's in relation to the other items in there. But as said, when there is nothing there, logic dictates it should be either a value of 0% or 100% right ? Not 95%.
Site Admin

Zenju

Well as I explained above, when I copy/sync to a drive thats completely >empty<. How can it still show 95% compared to nothing...?

You already said it's in relation to the other items in there. But as said, when there is nothing there, logic dictates it should be either a value of 0% or 100% right ? Not 95%.dani349
Can you post a screenshot showing the bar you are talking about?

blues12

> anticipate each to be at 100% when the sync is complete

> How can it still show 95% compared to nothing...?

It doesn't compare left to right, it compares the relative contributions of the source folders, to my understanding. The first level (top level) folders of the hierarchy always add up to 100%.

How it arrives at 100% seems different, an example:
Clicking Compare will count files to sync only:

20% Folder1
0 % Folder2
80% Folder3

If I now Ctrl-select Folder1 and Folder2 and press Space to skip them, I get:

10% Folder1
45% Folder2
45% Folder3

Now Folder2 is counted as well, even though nothing has changed in terms of files to sync. Now translate this behavior into the subfolders (the other bar colors) - a bit mind-boggling inside nested hierarchies.
Site Admin

Zenju

PS: the behavior is likely to change (hopefully also easier to understand):
viewtopic.php?t=1595

dani349

Can you post a screenshot showing the bar you are talking about?Zenju
I don't really see much point in that, there is already a screen shot in the first post, so why post an other one ?

Besides my sync operation is already finished if there was for some reason any interest in recreating it in order to see a picture of a bar at 95%.

dani349

It doesn't compare left to right, it compares the relative contributions of the source folders, to my understanding. The first level (top level) folders of the hierarchy always add up to 100%.

20% Folder1
0 % Folder2
80% Folder3

10% Folder1
45% Folder2
45% Folder3

Now Folder2 is counted as well, even though nothing has changed in terms of files to sync. Now translate this behavior into the subfolders (the other bar colors) - a bit mind-boggling inside nested hierarchies.blues12
I don't understand the more in depth things you touch upon here, which as I'm reading your not sure you do either. But I don't see any way it would matter. As you say it always adds up to a 100% anyway. So...that just confirms what I said I also would have thought.
Site Admin

Zenju

I don't really see much point in that, there is already a screen shot in the first post, so why post an other one ?

Besides my sync operation is already finished if there was for some reason any interest in recreating it in order to see a picture of a bar at 95%.dani349
There is no "95%" in the screenshot above, so it's not clear what you are talking about.

dani349

There is no "95%" in the screenshot above, so it's not clear what you are talking about.Zenju
Of course it is. 95 is just a number. Whether it is 95, 60, or 75 does not change what it is. You can see in the screen shot above what it is this thread is talking about and hence what I am talking about as already explained and filled in verbally given that the value of the number is only a variable, and doesn't change what we are talking about.

So, it's clear I'm talking about the same subject as this thread, (which is why I'm here) An other screenshot therefore has no bearing on what we are talking about, since it's already been established by a screenshot already. The only thing different pertaining to my question and explanation above is the variable number in relation to an >empty< drive, and we don't need a screenshot of a number to know what it means do we ? 95 means the same as I write it here, as it would mean on a screenshot.

So the question is simply, how can it show 95% when the compare is being done to an Empty drive ?
Site Admin

Zenju

Of course it is. 95 is just a number. Whether it is 95, 60, or 75 does not change what it is. You can see in the screen shot above what it is this thread is talking about and hence what I am talking about as already explained and filled in verbally given that the value of the number is only a variable, and doesn't change what we are talking about.

So, it's clear I'm talking about the same subject as this thread, (which is why I'm here) An other screenshot therefore has no bearing on what we are talking about, since it's already been established by a screenshot already. The only thing different pertaining to my question and explanation above is the variable number in relation to an >empty< drive, and we don't need a screenshot of a number to know what it means do we ? 95 means the same as I write it here, as it would mean on a screenshot.

So the question is simply, how can it show 95% when the compare is being done to an Empty drive ?dani349
No, it's not just a number, you're referring to a screenshot where the number you mention is not existing. You need to be precise with words when you want help for a particular problem. Don't use words like "it" or "same subject". It may be obvious to you what you are thinking, but since there are no telepaths around, not for anyone else. That said, as already mentioned above, the percentage bars refer to the "size" column, as explained by Stefan.

dani349

No, it's not just a number, you're referring to a screenshot where the number you mention is not existing. You need to be precise with words when you want help for a particular problem. Don't use words like "it" or "same subject". It may be obvious to you what you are thinking, but since there are no telepaths around, not for anyone else. That said, as already mentioned above, the percentage bars refer to the "size" column, as explained by Stefan.Zenju
uhu. Yes a number is just a number in this case undeniably as already explained. And as well it does not matter that the number does not exist in the previous screenshot, as I've also explained, cause the number means what the number means i.e. 95 and a picture of it is not needed to explain it's meaning. Therefore I am not referring to a screenshot for the number as if it was supposed to be there when it's not, it is irrelevant that the number is not in the existing picture, this I've already said, since the number is simply a variable and I've already told you plainly what that variable is, the screenshot has only been referenced by me in response to you mentioning creating yet an other one, which would be redundant when one already exists. Being precise with words is exactly what I've already done, as I've already spelled out with plain text what I was asking, reiterated it as well, and explained the responses I've gotten so far, as I'm doing right now.

"this subject" and "it" is perfectly used her in their context, saying not to use them is just immaterial and contradictory, you say yourself "it's not just a number" and "it's not clear" don't you. And my response and own use has been logical, linguistically and otherwise, unlike the fallacious statement about leaving out words from the English language when they are accurately applied by my use to their appropriate contexts and, are not even relevant to the fact that the question is already clearly written, making such a statement an irrelevant red herring or strawman argument that only serves as a distraction from the issue at hand. So no telepaths are necessary to even mention when what is asked is as already said, plainly and simply written out, and not about what I am thinking. That should be clear now.

There is absolutely no logical way to argue against my question with:
-.The fact that 95 is not in the screenshot from before when it's not necessary because it is as a mere variable.

OR that it should be unclear what I'm talking about when:
-.It's already explained plainly what is asked in regards to that variable.

You say:
"That said, as already mentioned above, the percentage bars refer to the "size" column, as explained by Stefan."

Yes, but as also already said above after that, with reply to it. The fact that it's a 'size column' we already know, Reiterating so isn't answering the question but only avoiding it. Stefan has a reply already too if you didn't already know, and none of that matters either. Only that which is relevant to the point.
Site Admin

Zenju

uhu. Yes a number is just a number in this case undeniably as already explained. And as well it does not matter that the number does not exist in the previous screenshot, as I've also explained, cause the number means what the number means i.e. 95 and a picture of it is not needed to explain it's meaning. Therefore I am not referring to a screenshot for the number as if it was supposed to be there when it's not, it is irrelevant that the number is not in the existing picture, this I've already said, since the number is simply a variable and I've already told you plainly what that variable is, the screenshot has only been referenced by me in response to you mentioning creating yet an other one, which would be redundant when one already exists. Being precise with words is exactly what I've already done, as I've already spelled out with plain text what I was asking, reiterated it as well, and explained the responses I've gotten so far, as I'm doing right now.

"this subject" and "it" is perfectly used her in their context, saying not to use them is just immaterial and contradictory, you say yourself "it's not just a number" and "it's not clear" don't you. And my response and own use has been logical, linguistically and otherwise, unlike the fallacious statement about leaving out words from the English language when they are accurately applied by my use to their appropriate contexts and, are not even relevant to the fact that the question is already clearly written, making such a statement an irrelevant red herring or strawman argument that only serves as a distraction from the issue at hand. So no telepaths are necessary to even mention when what is asked is as already said, plainly and simply written out, and not about what I am thinking. That should be clear now.

There is absolutely no logical way to argue against my question with:
-.The fact that 95 is not in the screenshot from before when it's not necessary because it is as a mere variable.

OR that it should be unclear what I'm talking about when:
-.It's already explained plainly what is asked in regards to that variable.

You say:
"That said, as already mentioned above, the percentage bars refer to the "size" column, as explained by Stefan."

Yes, but as also already said above after that, with reply to it. The fact that it's a 'size column' we already know, Reiterating so isn't answering the question but only avoiding it. Stefan has a reply already too if you didn't already know, and none of that matters either. Only that which is relevant to the point.dani349
This link sums it up nicely:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Reference_desk/How_to_ask_a_software_question
PS: Point 3, the "minimal and complete example demonstrating the problem" would be more helpful than going all "meta".

dani349

This link sums it up nicely:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Reference_desk/How_to_ask_a_software_question
PS: Point 3, the "minimal and complete example demonstrating the problem" would be more helpful than going all "meta".Zenju
A nice link, which is useful to know for people who don't already, though not adding anything new or needed here to this.

This after all, is not even asking about code with or without lacking explanation or presumptions of knowledge, or even any other difficult technical problem, But... only a simple straight forward question thats already fully explained; a priori. That means that the meaning of the question is self evident. Hence, your simply just still avoiding it and posing it as it was something else then what it is, that either needs an other redundant screenshot, or a demonstration as if it was a piece of code or other technical issue thats described circumlocutory which it is not. It's simply responded to with things that doesn't apply to it.

All this I've already written.

P.s. Neither have I gone all "meta" or beyond if you would insinuate that any more than telepaths btw, I need simply remind you then that my reply was an answering to yours.

valmatech

20% Folder1
0 % Folder2
80% Folder3

10% Folder1
45% Folder2
45% Folder3

Now Folder2 is counted as well, even though nothing has changed in terms of files to sync. Now translate this behavior into the subfolders (the other bar colors) - a bit mind-boggling inside nested hierarchies.blues12
>it compares the relative contributions of the source folders (...). The first level (top level) folders of the hierarchy always add up to 100%.

Thanks Stefan. I didn't find info in the manual and this clarified it for me.

The second behaviour (Ctrl Space selection) doesn't happen to me, so they probably have changed it in newer versions...