Exclude folders, anywhere in the path

Get help for specific problems

Evan

Hello,

I am trying to exclude specific folder names from backup/sync, without specifying specific paths.

e.g. exclude all 'tmp' folders and their contents, in root and all sub-directories.

Possible now?

Thank you

Plerry

RTFM; it is explicitly in there!

Evan

Apologies for this but...

Before I posted, I did add folder exclusion in the Filter list, in the form of:
*\temp\
After I hit Synchronize(Mirror) but the temp folders were not removed from the destination.

I should have been clearer about this, sorry.
version 8.10 x64

UPDATE:
After more attempts, I can confirm that adding folder exclusions after the fact, does not remove these folders in the next Synchronizations. Bug?

Plerry

No bug!
You have now excluded all "temp" folders from the sync.
So, if any "temp" folders exist on the Mirror source(left)- or destination(right)-side
those will not be touched/changed/removed by the sync-run,
because they are excluded from the sync ...

Evan

Alright, I understand the logic now.

Making a fresh sync to a new destination should produce the desired result for my case.

Thanks again

tron314

I finally found this post where someone had the same problem I am having.

I use FreeFileSync for all my backups and I absolutely love it. Unfortunately, I keep running into the problem described by Evan mostly because of size limitations on the destination drive.

I understand that it is not a bug and the files are not "touched/changed/removed by the sync-run" because it was the way it was designed and they are just excluded from the analysis altogether. But that approach is causing the “Mirror” option not to be a Real Mirror as a user would expect.

If I use the "Mirror" option with all Inclusions, I expect to have an exact mirror between source and destination with the exception of the exclusions. This is true if I format the destination drive first and start from a blank drive. Just like Evan described: “Making a fresh sync to a new destination should produce the desired result for my case.”.

However, if I already have done a sync, but I am running out of space and want to exclude some unnecessary folders (for example the “Library” folder for each user in a MAC), it is not enough to add the exclusions to the sync, but I have to delete each folder manually. “Library” folders may be just a few so not big deal, but if I want to exclude any *temp* folder anywhere, it would be a tedious process to manually remove them from the destination. When this happens to me, I just format the destination drive and start from scratch again, with the caveat of having to wait 3 hours to copy the ~1TB again (minus the new exceptions).

Please let me know if there is currently a way to get a “Real” mirror where the exclusions are actually deleted from the destination drive, if not, can you please add it to your enhancement list as a possible feature? Maybe a check box under the “Synchronization Settings->Synchronization->Mirror” configuration that reads something like “Delete Exclusions”. Just a thought.

Keep up the great work with such useful tool.

Thank you