FFS 8.6 now portable installation missing?

Get help for specific problems

ektorbarajas

I wanted to check if the "install.dat" error has gone, but now FFS 8.6 is not even giving a portable installation option!, only local installation

Zenju, please fix this, we need a working portable version that doesn't has the "install.dat" problem

If a donation is needed for this, please let me know!

Thanks
Site Admin

Zenju

There hasn't been a change, the portable installation option should still be there.

Windjammer

Hi Forum,

Portable is not working. I have installed the 8.6 version as Portable, but it does not include/create the install.dat file so FFS cannot start. The old install.dat is not recognised. "Installation files are corrupt." "Consistency check failed for... install.dat". Inspecting the executable with UniversalExtractor the file is nowhere to be found.

//W
Site Admin

Zenju

Maybe some AV software is messing with the installation?

Windjammer

Nope, tried with both with Windows Defender on and off, that is the only "AV" I have on this PC right now. And it was never a problem before. Is the install.dat created or is it in the Setup package?
Site Admin

Zenju

The file is created when you close the installer dialog. If this doesn't happen please send me a Process Monitor trace of the time span when you close the installer dialog at the end (https://freefilesync.org/faq.php#trace). This should contain the info about what is causing the trouble.

ektorbarajas

Hi Zenju,

you were right, the portable option is there.

but as Windjammer mentions it still has the install.dat and so the portable problem. can you help with that?

I can donate to have a portable version that works without the install.dat and can be copied and used without any limitation

Windjammer

The installation worked all the way to the last screen where you were prompted to "Click to Finish to exit Setup". When you did so the error of the corrupt file appeared. Today I started my computer with MS Windows Defender disabled and the installation completed correctly. Yesterday just after disabling it the installation failed. Case closed for me. Thank you for the support.

therube

Inspecting the executable with UniversalExtractor the file is nowhere to be found.
It wouldn't be.
It's not "part" of the installer.
The file is generated when you run the installer.

ektorbarajas

Zenju:

Please provide a portable version without the Install.dat, it can be a direct zipped version that can be downloaded and unzipped, and that works right away. And it can be for donators only. What about it?