Strange permissions issue on Sister's computer using FreeFileSync

Get help for specific problems

wave-form

This is really odd, and I don't think it's an issue with FreeFileSync, but I could really use some help on this one. (note I've never had an issue with FFS on any of my own personal machines. Anyway.

Today I was on my sister’s computer (windows 7) I was showing her how to use FFS, (note: I forgot to look at the version). Anyway, when I ran a transfer, it said it did not have permissions to move some excel files, something related to tokens. So I re-Started FFS as Administrator by right clicking the start up icon. I usually run FFS as admin on windows 7 anyway. However, while running FFS with admin rights, I'm not able to drag folders to the drag-and-drop dialog box. I get one of them round No symbols. But I can drag and drop folders in the path bar while running it as a standard user. The problem with standard user is that FFS is not able to move files that require admin privileges. But again, the drag and drop does not work while running it with admin rights.

blues12

I don't have a solution, but I can confirm the issue: Starting up FFS as admin does not suffice to drag & drop across other user accounts.
Site Admin

Zenju

See: http://serverfault.com/questions/39600/why-cant-i-drag-drop-a-file-for-editing-in-notepad-in-windows-server-2008

However it seems there may be a way around this; I'll be doing a few tests...

wave-form

@Stefan:
I'm not dragging across user accounts. We were logged into her computer under the default account, which is an administrator account. That's how her computer is behaving. Regarding my own personal computer, I have two computers with win7 and one Linux machine and I've never had these issues myself.

@ Nenju:
I'm not trying to drag files into note pad. I'm simply trying to sync two folders. When you right click the FFS icon and choose run as Administrator (I do it all the time on my win7 machines) the program runs with admin rights. However, on my sister's computer I'm not able to drag folders to the drag-drop bar at the top. But if I just click the icon and start the program as normal (no admin option) then I can drag-drop into the path bar, but then the program can't move files that require admin rights. It's odd. By the way, she's using FFS v6.1. I'm going to upgrade it to 6.13 or 14 for her and see if anything changes.
Site Admin

Zenju

>I'm not trying to drag files into note pad.
>I'm not able to drag folders to the drag-drop bar at the top.

This is not working for the same reason.

wave-form

Zenju, I don't understand the relationship of other persons issue you're pointing me to.

In any case, is this a User Access Control issue? I keep UAC turned off on my personal win7 machines, (my machines don't have the issue) but my sister's computer (which has the issue) most likely has UAC on by default. If UAC is the issue, that is a simple fix.

Is this what you're saying?
Site Admin

Zenju

> Zenju, I don't understand the relationship of other persons issue you're pointing me to.

The relationship is that they both have the same cause, namely a Windows security feature.

wave-form

I understand, but you didn't answer the specific question I asked about the UAC.
In any case I'll update you by saying that I turned off UAC on her computer and that did the trick! Easy solution.

Also, being that you can still copy and paste the text/path, or browse to folders is an option also. Not the best, but it works better than doing a backup manually.

I've always said, Windows 7, 8 are redundant piles of junk.

blues12

None of my business, but by disabling UAC you expose your sister's machine to a high risk. You give malware free reign to install drivers and ActiveX controls, change firewall settings ....

wave-form

None of my business, but by disabling UAC you expose your sister's machine to a high risk. You give malware free reign to install drivers and ActiveX controls, change firewall settings ....blues12
> *None of my business, but by disabling UAC you expose your sister's machine to a high risk. You give malware free reign to install drivers and ActiveX controls, change firewall settings*

I only disabled UAC while I was running FreeFileSync to back up two folders, then I turned it on and restarted the PC again. Also I checked the registry, system.ini, win.ini, hosts file, Temp folder(s) for viruses. ..to name a few.

On a side note:
I stopped running Anti Virus software on my personal computers over 3 years ago and I keep UAC off. (On my computers). I've never gotten virus. I monitor my ports, and start up locations. (Again, that is my computer though) I wouldn't recommend it for my sister. Keeping your system clean is much more about proper habits, running a good script blocker on your browser, or running your internet surfing in a Virtual Environment. AVs are not effective in my experience. The UAC works well, but it's too troublesome with certain applications. Also, never open files that are sent to you, unless you do it from within a VM. Don't ever use links that come via emails, always go directly to the site in question. ..etc. Keeping them out is all about learning the right habits.

You're right though Stefan, the UAC is a good thing, it's just a pain in the tail sometimes.