Cannot read permission of

Get help for specific problems

serendipityguy

Hello Everyone,

I am running these backup jobs as admin and I had this error message . . .

Cannot read permission of \\in_a_galaxy\Far_Far_away\Starwars_8.xls
Error Code 5: Access is Denied (Get File Security)

Has anyone ever seen these errors?
What was the resolve?

I have tried to manually share the directory Far_Far_Away with "Everyone" and still get these errors.

Giangi

Are you running on a UAC aware os? Is UAC active?
If so you better add yourself explicitely into ACLs.
Let me try to explain better:
In my own pc I have always disabled UAC because they are my pc and I known what I'm doing. I'm also member of local group Administrators.
I do have an external USB drive that I use to keep in sync a folder between my home desktop and my work laptop.
Locally on the 2 computer the folder is configured with Full Controls from group Administrators and Read for Users. The same for the folder on the USB disk.
This works great as long as UAC is disabled.

A couple of months ago I have changed the work laptop which is now running on Win10 (my home desktop is still running Seven). Unfortunately one cannot really completely disable UAC on W10 so I had to start working with the "run as Administrator" hassle... :(

I have quickly realised that my ACLs configured on the shared folder aren't optimal for UAC: when UAC is active the token for Administrator's privilege is simply removed and one must do "run as admin" to have it back. This means that my account isn't processed as member of the local Administrators group but as member of Users so with only Read rights.

The solution was pretty simple: I have created on the W10 laptop a local group called "MyAccounts", into that group I have put my account and I have added the group into both the local folder on the Win10 laptop adn the USB drive with Full Control permissions. Since UAC is stripping my token from the Administrators group, now the permissions on the folders are processed byt the group MyAccounts and so I do not have anymore any restrictions and I do not have to launch FFS with "Run as Administrator"!

When the USB disk is connected to my Seven home desktop the ACL, of course, is not resolved and showed as its GUID but it's not a problems since my account is into the local Administrators local group. When I will, eventually, migrate to W10 at home too I will have to create another local group with my own account and add it into both the USB disk and the local folder.

Basically the idea is to replicate the local group Administrators with another group and use the new group wherever the Administrators one is used.

Giangi

That's not exactly the same error reported (reading for the OP, writing in the FAQ).
The solution should actually be correct, but one must remember to run FFS elevated or change the property to always run it elevated with the annoyance to always accept the UAC prompt...
My solution is a bit more complicated but doesn't need to run FFS elevated... :-)

serendipityguy

Are you running on a UAC aware os? Is UAC active?Giangi
Thanks Giangi for you reply
No, is is not turned on . . .

serendipityguy

Thanks Zenju, but these were set as default once I started using this application.
I truly think that this may be a security / permissions issues. The Windows Environment is just so security conscious and overly protective with just the simplest tasks as making copies and backups.

serendipityguy

That's not exactly the same error reported Giangi
Correct, but even you run the application with elevated permissions, the error still continues.

Back to Googling . . .
Site Admin

Zenju

Back to Googling . . .serendipityguy
What about simply turning permission copying off?

Giangi

I truly think that this may be a security / permissions issues. The Windows Environment is just so security conscious and overly protective with just the simplest tasks as making copies and backups.serendipityguy
I cannot explain you briefly how security on NTFS works, but for sure you'll find many guides googling around... :-)
First tell us your O.S., Seven? 10?
Basically it depends on where is your source folder and on the groups your user account belong.
If your source is anywhere inside your profile (that include your desktop, Documents, Pictures and Videos folders) you have complete access to it.
If your source is somewhere else you might have only read access.
You can check that from the Security tab from the folders' Properties.

Without knowing in details which permissions you have on the source folder is not possibile to understand why you get that error message.

BTW: try Zenju suggestion and disable, if active, the permissions copy.