Mirroring files with Read Only attribute causes "Error Code 5: Access is denied. (BackupWrite)"

Get help for specific problems

winz-ict

Hi,

I have large file system I want to copy to a backup drive. The synchronisation is successful EXCEPT for files with the read only attribute set.

I am copying from a NAS (NTFS) to a local (NTFS) disk using the latest (6.9 ) version for windows. I have already turned off copy NTFS permissions. If I remove the read only attribute it syncs that file successfully.

I can not do this for all the other files (11k) as many need the read only attribute.

Suggestions?
Site Admin

Zenju

What error message are you seeing exactly?

winz-ict

Cannot write file "C:\Construction\00-Secretary\WORDDOCS\OUD\Arie\Foto's Sir Winston Club\Foto's\107.jpg.ffs_tmp".

Error Code 5: Access is denied. (BackupWrite)

and if id disable Fail safe copy I get the same message but for the file itself.
Site Admin

Zenju

Is the file on the source side NTFS sparse?

winz-ict

What would be the best way to check?
Site Admin

Zenju

What would be the best way to check?winz-ict
Just right-click in Windows Explorer and select properties, then choose the details pane.
Site Admin

Zenju

Can you send me a Process Monitor trace of the failed file copy? This seems to be worth investigating.

beason

I was getting the same "Access Denied" error when I was mirroring a file with Read Only permission (NTFS partition on Win7x64). I retried a couple times and it still failed.

I saw this post but launched procmon to get a trace, but then the error went away and mirroring completed!

:(

This was v6.4 btw.

xiangcangfei

Can you send me a Process Monitor trace of the failed file copy? This seems to be worth investigating.Zenju
Hello,

I'm using version 7.1, and encountered this issue. A process monitor trace of the failed fail copy is attached.

[Attachment was removed! File name: Logfile.PML (2189696 bytes)]

drghughes

Did anything ever happen with this?

I see this error when I try and backup the LibreOffice installer files that I download with uTorrent. I've checked the properties for these files to see if they are NTFS Sparse (see above), but there was nothing obvious there to say that they were.

drghughes

I just tried copying these files manually to the target location and then running a second synchronisation on them. Synchronising from the second location, even though they are still read only, completed without problems. So it looks like it is something to do with the way that uTorrent creates the files that is causing the problem.

mitsch81

I have the same issue when copying some git object or pack files: Cannot write file "....ffs_tmp". It seems that in some point of time git started writing these files with r--r--r-- permissions (older object files have rw--r--r--). Workaround: delete .git/object folder from backup and copy it manually. But it is a pain when there are several repos to be updated. (operation system openSUSE 13.2)

jriker1

Im seeing this right now. Using latest version. Windows 7

drghughes

I'm still seeing this error with the files that I download with uTorrent. FreeFileSync successfully creates the .ffs_tmp file (I checked the file with a hash, and it was identical to the original), but then seems to run into problems when it wants to change the file name and set the last modified date.

The error is:
Error Code 5: Access is denied. (BackupWrite) error message
Error Code 5: Access is denied. (BackupWrite) error message
2016-03-02.png (35 KiB) Viewed 3071 times
I tried running this backup with PureSync and it was able to do the backup successfully. So there isn't anything inherently wrong.

Could you please have a look at this.
Site Admin

Zenju

The access denied error seems to be caused by FreeFileSync not being able to access the ADS stream which marks a file as being downloaded from the internet: viewtopic.php?t=2316
The workaround would be to fall back on a stream-based copy that skips ADS (obviously what PureSync does).
Site Admin

Zenju

The problem is likely a combination of ADS and the read-only flag: Probably the same issue as disccused here: viewtopic.php?t=4652