Keep Folder timestamps

Discuss new features and functions

ralatsf

I have used Igor Green's shareware Synchronize It! for many years but since finding FFS at PortableApps.com I have been recommending it to friends and family. It has one limitation for me though.

When syncing folders, the timestamp of the newly generated folders are not set to be the same as the source folders.

The whole point of a backup to me is that if it is needed when a file tree is reinstated it should be the same as it was with all the original folder timestamps.

vbull

I totally agree. Also, I just don't understand why zenju feels this feature is not necessary and had refuses to have this feature numerous times.

Plerry

RogerL wrote:
> The whole point of a backup to me is that if it is needed when a file tree is reinstated
> it should be the same as it was with all the original folder timestamps

The whole point is that FreeFileSync is a synchronization tool, not a backup-tool.

That you can (ab)use FFS for backup purposes is nice, but please allow Zenju to spend
his valuable time on continuing to even further improve the synchronization behavior.

srjones67

Plerry... Agreed

merit-support

RogerL wrote:
> The whole point of a backup to me is that if it is needed when a file tree is reinstated
> it should be the same as it was with all the original folder timestamps

The whole point is that FreeFileSync is a synchronization tool, not a backup-tool.

That you can (ab)use FFS for backup purposes is nice, but please allow Zenju to spend
his valuable time on continuing to even further improve the synchronization behavior.plerry
While FreeFileSync may not be intended to be used as a file/folder backup tool, I dare say that at least half of the users use it for that very purpose. I have installed file/& folder synchronization utilities for real-time backup purposes MUCH more often than for disk-disk or device-device synchronization.

victor4411

I understand FreeFileSync is not a backup tool, however I don't really agree that sync'ing directory timestamps is exclusive to backup tools. Maybe some people see directory timestamps and meaningless, but personally I find them very useful. Presently using FreeFileSync exclusively gives a different experience on my source vs. my sync locations.

My workaround has been to use robocopy (with /DCOPY:T) for the initial sync to preserve all the historical directory timestamps, and then use FreeFileSync for incremental updates. The directory timestamp updates don't match exactly using this method, but they are close enough.

I consider preserving directory timestamps an important element in "synchronization behavior" and would like to request this feature also.

jpastor

I understand FreeFileSync is not a backup tool, however I don't really agree that sync'ing directory timestamps is exclusive to backup tools. Maybe some people see directory timestamps and meaningless, but personally I find them very useful. Presently using FreeFileSync exclusively gives a different experience on my source vs. my sync locations.

My workaround has been to use robocopy (with /DCOPY:T) for the initial sync to preserve all the historical directory timestamps, and then use FreeFileSync for incremental updates. The directory timestamp updates don't match exactly using this method, but they are close enough.

I consider preserving directory timestamps an important element in "synchronization behavior" and would like to request this feature also.victor4411
How about a simple setting: Keep Original Folder Dates

There could be a "sticky" setting and a per-session setting?

The change to the logic should be just a matter of inserting an IF around the current code that sets the date.

gordon55

would like to step in here as well : yes, please, I really want this feature back (preserving timestamps of folders) in newer version of FFS as earlier versions up tp 3.9 worked like this.

I can imagine that it won't be that easy to implement considering all the different combinations of file systems an OS, but highly appreciated to get it back.

thx in advance.

webmaster33

Still does not keep timestamps of directories/folders in FreeFileSync v6.13 64bit.

Could be possible to have fixed?