Replicate with FreeFileSync the "Contribute" option from SyncToy

Discuss new features and functions

magicool

Hi,
If I delete a file or folder from the right folder it gets copied again at the next sync. How to set the sync not to copy the deleted file and add only the new files. Every file/folder should be synced only once from left to right, just like "Contribute" option in SyncToy.

z06vette

I think Update will do what you want.
Go to Actions on the tool bar, select Synchronization Options, then select Update.
The tool tip for Update says: "Copy new and updated files to the right folder"

Plerry

I think Update will do what you want.
Go to Actions on the tool bar, select Synchronization Options, then select Update.
The tool tip for Update says: "Copy new and updated files to the right folder"z06vette
FFS does not seem to have something equivalent to SyncToy's Contribute.

FFS's Update will reinstate anything deleted at the destination-side but still
existing at the source-side at the very next sync.

jcliftonmeek

I think I have the answer. In Synchronization settings, select "Update." Now, for the left-most "action," which immediately shows an arrow with a plus sign, click it twice until it shows a bar, meaning "do nothing." So now there should be only a green arrow in the second column ("Left Side is Newer"). This now affects ONLY those items where there is an item on both the left and right and the left is newer, WITHOUT adding any new items. Just like SyncToy's Contribute, of which I also was a major fan. I want to thank you for reminding me of this function and leading me to figure out your question. This would be a very nice built-in function, although a new name (I never liked "Contribute") might be in order, such as "Update Existing." Cheers.

magicool

That setup will do nothing. It will just show the new files in the left panel, but will not sync any files (new or old).

blues12

I don't think you can replicate the Contribute-function with FFS.
"Only once" is not an option here. If you don't want the folder to be synced all over again, you have to exclude it manually. This requires modifying the exclude filter after your initial snyc. For every case you add a seperate line in the exclude filter.

Your 2nd best chance is probably setting up seperate folder pairs for these cases and proceed as jclifton suggested.
Site Admin

Zenju

I don't think you can replicate the Contribute-function with FFS. blues12, 22 Feb 2015, 08:25
This is possible with FreeFileSync 13: The new "Update" variant using a database is equivalent to Synctoy's "Contribute": viewtopic.php?t=10594