Attention Some files will sync as part of multiple folder pairs.

Get help for specific problems

kRel

2Screenshot 2023-11-16 165149.jpg
2Screenshot 2023-11-16 165149.jpg (97.55 KiB) Viewed 5081 times
Attention
Some files will sync as part of multiple folder pairs.
To avoid conflicts, set exclusion filters so that each updated file is included from only one pair of folders.
Conflicting files:
"Some files will sync as part of multiple folder pairs. To avoid conflicts, set exclusion filters so that each updated file is included from only one folder pair"
I did not understand anything ! Help please :-(

From what is displayed it seems that FFS is talking about EXACTLY the same file in the same folder - which VERY curiously, has two different attributes: "Writing" and "reading" which I believe is impossible - at least with Windows.
---

Indeed - for some mysterious reason - the "E:\" mirror files are read-only.

However "E:\" (sync destination) - is not mentioned in the warning which only affects the path D:\

Given this, not understanding the warning, I did a simple thing: I completely deleted the destination and started synchronization, RECEIVING the same warning ONCE AGAIN.

This time I ignored it and started the synchronization which completed with the same warnings that I repeat below.
I synced again and the warnings disappeared.

But the doubt remains due to that incomprehensible notice. Why ? Is there an explanation?

PS.
I've been using FFS for at least 4 years, soI should be able to juggle, but this warning is disarming...

Attention
Some files will sync as part of multiple folder pairs.
To avoid conflicts, set exclusion filters so that each updated file is included from only one pair of folders.
D:\BACKUP_UTENTI\Utente πŸ’Ύ Desktop\2023-10-30_Gmail - Cond. Via Castiglione D'Orcia 36 - Condominio 2023 Rata n. 11.pdf
D:\BACKUP_UTENTI\Utente πŸ‘“ Desktop\2023-10-30_Gmail - Cond. Via Castiglione D'Orcia 36 - Condominio 2023 Rata n. 11.pdf
D:\BACKUP_UTENTI\Utente πŸ’Ύ Desktop\ClicKey.exe - collegamento.lnk
D:\BACKUP_UTENTI\Utente πŸ‘“ Desktop\ClicKey.exe - collegamento.lnk
D:\BACKUP_UTENTI\Utente πŸ’Ύ Desktop\Incarico di mediazione Grammatico Guido_CON_NOTE.pdf
D:\BACKUP_UTENTI\Utente πŸ‘“ Desktop\Incarico di mediazione Grammatico Guido_CON_NOTE.pdf
D:\BACKUP_UTENTI\Utente πŸ’Ύ Desktop\Linux Mint 21.2 -Victoria- - Linux Mint.url
D:\BACKUP_UTENTI\Utente πŸ‘“ Desktop\Linux Mint 21.2 -Victoria- - Linux Mint.url
D:\BACKUP_UTENTI\Utente πŸ’Ύ Desktop\Synchthing - collegamento.lnk
D:\BACKUP_UTENTI\Utente πŸ‘“ Desktop\Synchthing - collegamento.lnk
D:\BACKUP_UTENTI\Utente πŸ’Ύ Favorites\Bing.url
D:\BACKUP_UTENTI\Utente πŸ‘“ Favorites\Bing.url
πŸ’Ύ: Accesso in scrittura πŸ‘“: Accesso in lettura

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still . . . (it's not over . . .)
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-11-16 173705.png
Screenshot 2023-11-16 173705.png (88.21 KiB) Viewed 5078 times

xCSxXenon

The read/write lines are referencing the same files because that is the issue (possibly). Your locations are configured in such a way that there is a location that is being read from for one folder pair and also written to for a different pair

kRel

The read/write lines are referencing the same files because that is the issue (possibly). Your locations are configured in such a way that there is a location that is being read from for one folder pair and also written to for a different pair xCSxXenon, 16 Nov 2023, 20:20
Thank you . . .

I didn't understand much... but the problem is mine because I have lower school English...

However, in three/four years I will have done 2000/3000 synchronizations with FFS, but this is the first time I have gotten this response.

My needs are pretty basic: have an identical, updated copy of a set of files and folders on one disk, on another disk in the same paths.

Paths moreover, which already exist and which contain largely the same files and folders, of which an older part and other new files, not yet present on the mirror disk.

I don't see why an error should be reported.

cheers

PS
this case is emblematic:

the warning states: "some files will be synchronized as part of multiple folder pairs. To avoid conflicts, set exclusion filters so that each updated file is included from only one folder pair"

1. I want the file: D:\USER_BACKUP\User\Pictures\Screenshots\Screenshot 2023-11-18 145038 to be copied to E:\USER_BACKUP\User\Pictures\Screenshots\Screenshot 2023-11-18 145038. Finish.

What do I care about the write or read access warning?

Furthermore, each individual file MAY (!) be part of multiple folder pairs:

in fact the first operation is a copy from C:\ to D:\ (same paths)
the second operation is a copy from D:\ to E:\ of the same files that were copied an instant before from C:\ to D:\

Furthermore, if for every file that presents this problem (and there are hundreds) I had to set exclusion filters, I might as well give up Synchting and do everything manually.....
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-11-18 171925.png
Screenshot 2023-11-18 171925.png (111.22 KiB) Viewed 5037 times

Plerry

Given your description, it seems you have defined two left-right folder pairs:
Case A:
1) C:\USER_BACKUP\User\Pictures\ => D:\USER_BACKUP\User\Pictures\
and
2) D:\USER_BACKUP\User\Pictures\ => E:\USER_BACKUP\User\Pictures\
OR case B:
1) C:\USER_BACKUP\User\Pictures\Screenshots\ => D:\USER_BACKUP\User\Pictures\Screenshots\
and
2) D:\USER_BACKUP\User\Pictures\Screenshots\ => E:\USER_BACKUP\User\Pictures\Screenshots\

This creates an overlap between the 1st and 2nd left-right pair of everything in
either D:\USER_BACKUP\User\Pictures\ in case A
or D:\USER_BACKUP\User\Pictures\Screenshots\ in case B
which correctly causes the warning.
... in fact the first operation is a copy from C:\ to D:\ (same paths)
the second operation is a copy from D:\ to E:\ of the same files that were copied an instant before from C:\ to D:\
This is not true. If you have multiple left-right folder pairs, FFS does not first Compare and Sync your first folder pair (in your case C:\ to D:\), and only then does a Compare and Sync of your second folder pair (in your case D:\ to E:\). Instead, FFS runs a single, pre-sync Compare, and then performs all required sync actions. And it even does so in (seemingly) arbitrary sequence. So, not first all C:\ to D:\ sync actions and then the D:\ to E:\ sync actions.

In your use, due the mentioned overlap, you can not use two left-right folder pairs, but instead you need to run two separate syncs in sequence. First your C:\ to D:\ sync, and only after that first sync has completed, run your D:\ to E:\ sync.

xCSxXenon

Sounds like you have a A->B then B->C scenario. This means you have to run the sync twice to achieve the desired results. You should really be syncing
A->B and A->C

Sounds similar: viewtopic.php?t=10852

kRel

You explained yourself well, thanks! I'm the one who only partially understood. But that's okay!

However, by creating two different synchronizations to run separately, one after the other works without errors.

But I don't understand why up until twenty days ago I made thousands of IDENTICAL synchronizations, without ever receiving this error!
So, since I didn't change anything, something will probably have been changed in FreeFileSync