New feature idea

Discuss new features and functions

boris

Sometimes I click on a folder and all of it's contents are taken out of the sync window. That's awesome, except it does not do it every time? I can't work out why it does and sometimes does not.
After comparison scan, I'd love to click on the cache for my browser and have the whole folder ignored for that 1 time. There's often 000's of entries so manually doing it is not a great idea.

Plerry

> Sometimes I click on a folder and all of it's contents are taken out of the sync window

That is quite unclear.
Where do you click on a folder, when do you click on that folder, how do you click on that folder (left-click or right-click), and with what intention do you click on that folder (e.g. adding to the Include or Exclude Filter?)

boris

Once you run compare you have the 2 main windows marked relative path.
On the left windows are the files to be written, on the right the destination path.
Between the two windows there are 3 columns. 1 marked 'action', 1 marked 'difference' and 1 with no mark but it lists checkboxes all of which are ticked. 1 tick for a folder and a tick for each file within that folder.
You can click to deselect files 1 by 1, or click on the tick for the folder icon to take the entire folder out of the process.
I love this feature, but sometimes on cache folders it does not work. You click on the folder and the folder icon disappears, but the files remain.

therube

You have to be very specific about what you "select" & how you go about removing said items from selection.

Spacebar will only remove individual (or all selected) items.

To remove an entire directory (tree), spacebar will not work.
(Used to, I kind of remember, in the past?
Cannot Exclude temporarily a Directory if existent)

You need to right-click the directory entry, then select (click, not spacebar) 'Exclude temporarily.
(If you wanted to exclude "permanently", you could set up a Filter from the same context-menu.)

boris

I don't use the spacebar but I didn't know I could with that with the right click. I shall investigate :)
Site Admin

Zenju

Spacebar will only remove individual (or all selected) items.

To remove an entire directory (tree), spacebar will not work.
(Used to, I kind of remember, in the past?
Cannot Exclude temporarily a Directory if existent) therube, 23 Oct 2023, 15:44
There is no such difference. Spacebar works for both files and folders that are currently selected.

therube

xxx31.mp4
(589.42 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
OK, sometimes?

So I guess what is happening is something like...
I don't show = (equal) files (cause like, who cares, they're equal).
And so in some cases, in most cases for me, what I "see", is:
> Parent | Directory | File

And in my /mind/ if I <sp> on the "Directory" entry, that should remove all the items from that directory.

What must actually be happening is, that I am NOT on a "Directory" entry, but rather on a "File" entry - only that it (happens to) display corresponding Directory information (as a / for, reference).

And in that vein, with no actual "Directory" entry displaying, the only way to Temporarily Exclude said directory is to mouse-click the "Directory name" itself, & using the context-menu, Temporarily Exclude.

In a case like that, <sp>, does not remove the Directory entirely - because I have not focused on a Directory entry, but rather on a File entry.

Ah.

So... a <sp> method to remove an entire Directory path, even though you are focused on a "File" would be nice.

Yes, one could enable = (equal), but then (potentially) you'd have tons of unnecessary "noise" displaying (I certainly would) which, IMO, is worse then individually <sp>, or group selecting & then <sp> the group.

Ah, so that is what has been going on.

---

Nirsoft / OLD

Oh, that's why - because = (equal) is not being displayed.

And so we are in a (display) situation like:
> Parent | Directory | File
- which will only remove an individual entry, even though we are selecting a "Directory" ( | File) entry.

Where Nirsoft /X is like:
> Parent | Directory
- no File follows the Parent | Directory
& in that case, the entire Directory is removed as wanted

That must be it...
something like that...

(Heh. So it only took me 2+ years to actually realize what was going on ;-).
And, as much as I looked, just now, I still didn't realize just what was happening, until I started typing this post while also reviewing the video clip, & then it dawned on me...

Worse, is that I basically had it, back then, but I didn't actually realize all the nuances involved, even though I was actually told what was going on, "None of the items in the list shown are directories, they're all files", it just didn't click [in my head].)

therube

I guess I should also mention, that I have never bothered with the 'Overview' area, the "Folder tree" (if you will), because for me, it's pretty much like (again), who cares (& in that respect, I didn't particularly realize that it displayed various "folders". Likewise, I keep it sized, to a minimum, so I not even apt to see that there are folders there to see.

(You can see what I normally see [or don't see] in the clip, above.)

I now see, I can (blindly) select a "folder" to effect it's "<sp>" removal.

Mouse-over on a Folder entry, in such a case would be nice.
And or, perhaps a hotkey toggle (F11) to expand, & automatically resize (column widths) allowing one "access" to the "folder tree", & with another (F11), it reverts back to its' previous sizings...
Site Admin

Zenju

"None of the items in the list shown are directories, they're all files"therube, 25 Oct 2023, 15:45
Exactly!

If the folder item is also part of the current view, then clicking on the left folder part of any file contained immediately jumps to the parent folder line instead.
Site Admin

Zenju

Looks like the following could be an improvement:
File listing: clicking the folder part on the left:
1. parent folder on view => jump to line (already implemented)
2. TODO: parent folder not on view: select all child items (instead of selecting the file)

=> or even better: in both cases do 2!

boris

Hmmm I will have to investigate this. So you can't select a subfolder to filter out? Just a master folder?