real time sync is not actively monitoring

Get help for specific problems

jimmyfarmer123

I have a fresh install of Linux mint cinnamon on my laptop. Prior to the fresh installation, I added real time sync to the startup applications and it would start as it was supposed to with the laptop, but it wouldn't automatically start the syncing, I just had to push the "start" button, it was a bit of a nuisance but it was very minor and everything worked as it was supposed to after that. Now after the fresh installation, I did the same thing and added it to the startup applications and it will start with the laptop and it will perform an initial sync, but then it doesn't continue actively monitoring the directories. I have to manually open real time sync and hit start to get it to actively monitor the directories. Which kind of defeats the purpose, the point is to have it automated so that I don't have to do anything to get it working. At least before the fresh installation the window would pop up and it was hard to miss it. Now, it doesn't pop up at all, I don't want to worry about having to remember to start real time sync every time the computer is turned on.
Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this?

Thank you

xCSxXenon

What exactly did you put in startup? Sounds like you put a .ffs_batch configuration in there

jimmyfarmer123

Yes, you are correct, I added real time sync to the list of startup applications and copy and pasted the command from real time sync that it created from the batch file. This is the command I used:

/home/laptop/FreeFileSync/FreeFileSync /home/laptop/Documents/Jim/BatchRun.ffs_batch

It does everything it's supposed to until after it does that first sync at startup, it seems as if real time sync just closes instead of staying running. When saving the batch file, I tried it with "auto-close" checked and unchecked, it didn't make a difference either way.

xCSxXenon

You said I am correct but then stated your setup is different than what I suggested

jimmyfarmer123

Sorry, batch files are relatively new to me. Aren't what you asked and what I described essentially the same thing?

therube

I added real time sync to the list of startup applications
Sounds like you put a .ffs_batch configuration in there
/Jim/BatchRun.ffs_batch
I'm not familiar with Linux "list of startup applications", but sounds like you need, BatchRun.ffs_real (rather then BatchRun.ffs_batch).

jimmyfarmer123

I added real time sync to the list of startup applications
Sounds like you put a .ffs_batch configuration in there
/Jim/BatchRun.ffs_batch
I'm not familiar with Linux "list of startup applications", but sounds like you need, BatchRun.ffs_real (rather then BatchRun.ffs_batch). therube, 02 Oct 2023, 19:30
Thanks for the suggestion, I just tried that, but real time sync doesn't start at all when I change it to "real".

I don't know how it is in windows, but in Linux when you open real time sync you drag the batch file you created into it and it creates the text where it says "Command line to run when changes are detected".

In the startup applications, I have real time sync in there and I have to specify a "command", so that's where I copy and pasted the text that real time sync created from my batch file.

xCSxXenon

NO you are doing literally everything wrong
1. Open RTS into a clean state, brand new, never touched, no locations, no anything
2. Drag/import the .ffs_batch config file into it to autofill the locations and command.
3. Set idle time if you need to
4. Go to FILE -> SAVE AS and save as a .ffs_real configuration
5. Make that .ffs_real config autostart directly or supply that as a parameter to RTS autorun

jimmyfarmer123

I had a hard time getting the file to autorun but it's working now.
In the past I never created the configuration file and I had it working just fine.

Thank you very much for all of the help.

xCSxXenon

Woohoo! Glad you got it to work!