I do not understand what "paire multiples" means (and how to avoid it) !

Discuss new features and functions

Alomphega

Hello,

I'm sorry to come back with this issue, but I really do not understand what are these "multiple pairs" (in French words : "paires multiples") and mainly how to avoid it.

Here are my logs (cut with only few samples) :
---8<---
16:37:45 Attention Certains fichiers seront synchronisés en tant que paires multiples.
Pour éviter les conflits, il suffit de mettre à jour les filtres d'exclusion pour que chaque fichier mis à jour ne soit inclus que dans une paire unique.
D:\Users\Guy\Documents 👓 Configurations\FreeFileSYNC\»SyncSettings.ffs_batch
D:\Users\Guy\Documents\Configurations 💾 FreeFileSYNC\»SyncSettings.ffs_batch
D:\Users\Guy\Documents 👓 Configurations\FreeFileSYNC\»SyncSettings.ffs_gui
D:\Users\Guy\Documents\Configurations 💾 FreeFileSYNC\»SyncSettings.ffs_gui
D:\Users\Guy\Documents 👓 Configurations\NotePad\Administratif.txt
D:\Users\Guy\Documents\Configurations 💾 NotePad\Administratif.txt
D:\Users\Guy\Documents 👓 Configurations\PhraseExpress\20230222 phrases.pxp
D:\Users\Guy\Documents\Configurations 💾 PhraseExpress\20230222 phrases.pxp
💾: Accès en écriture 👓: Accès en lecture
---8<---
What means these "multiple pairs" and what do I have to put in filter to avoid this issue ?
(please write for me an exact sample so I can copy it and reproduce it even if I continue to not understand ! O:-) )

Thank you very much for your help !

Cordially,
GC

xCSxXenon

You have files that are going to be synced within multiple folder pairs. This can cause conflicts.
Example:

You have folders A, B, and C
You are mirroring A -> B
You are mirroring B-> C
You create a new document in A.

Logically, you may think that running a sync will copy that new document from A to B, and then from B to C. It will not!! Running a sync is just comparing differences and then syncing them. The compare will see that A and B are different but B and C are already equivalent, so that new document will be copied to B but not C. You would have to run a second sync to then get B and C synced.

There are other scenarios, this is just one

It looks like you are syncing "D:\Users\Guy\Documents" to "D:\Users\Guy\Documents\Configurations" which makes absolutely no sense to do. If I'm wrong, you should post a screenshot of the entire FFS window so we can see the folder pairs you have set up

Alomphega

Hello @xCSxXenon,

Thank you very much to try to explain it to me.
I think I have found a solution moving my folders in the same path (within "A" and "B" if we take your example). So I'm not yet in an issue and I thank you already for this.

... But alas I'm pretty stupid enough to not understand all yet, and pretty curious to try to understand why I'm not understanding ! ;-)

I post here below a real issue I found this morning (before I found my solution) :

The sync was an update :
from "D:\Users\Guy\Nextcloud\Entreprise" to "D:\Users\Guy\Documents\Entreprise"

The alert told :
«
Some files will be synchronized as part of multiple folder pairs.
To avoid conflicts, set up exclude filters so that each updated file is included by only one folder pair.

D:\Users\Guy\Documents 👓 Entreprise\Fournisseurs\incendie\Entretien VMC + extincteurs - Raccourci.lnk
D:\Users\Guy\Documents\Entreprise 💾 Fournisseurs\incendie\Entretien VMC + extincteurs - Raccourci.lnk

💾: Write access 👓: Read access
»

After the sync, I got :
«
08:26:52 Warning Some files will be synchronized as part of multiple folder pairs.
To avoid conflicts, set up exclude filters so that each updated file is included by only one folder pair.
D:\Users\Guy\Documents 👓 Entreprise\Fournisseurs\incendie\Entretien VMC + extincteurs - Raccourci.lnk
D:\Users\Guy\Documents\Entreprise 💾 Fournisseurs\incendie\Entretien VMC + extincteurs - Raccourci.lnk
💾: Write access 👓: Read access
»

So I have some questions :

1) what is exactly a "part of multiple folder pairs" ?
(I really do not understand what this basically means.)

2) How to set up exclude filters "so that each updated file is included by only one folder pair" ?

3) If I save (update) the entire A to the entire B then the entire B to the entire C, how a "Z" file in A can be different of its "Z" copied file in C ?

Thanks again if you are courageous enough to try to explain that stuff to me again ! O:-)

Cordially,
Guy

Plerry

The "file" giving problems seems to be a link or shortcut (*.lnk), which points to some file or executable.
Likely, the linked-to file is in your left or right location, thus creating said overlap.

If so, as described here, you can try to set the Symbolic Link Handling to "As link" instead of "Follow".
Site Admin

Zenju

The "file" giving problems seems to be a link or shortcut (*.lnk), which points to some file or executable.
Likely, the linked-to file is in your left or right location, thus creating said overlap.

If so, as described here, you can try to set the Symbolic Link Handling to "As link" instead of "Follow". Plerry, 26 Oct 2023, 07:10
FreeFileSync doesn't consider Windows "lnk" files as symolic links. The problem is a conlict in the users's folder pair setup.

Plerry

Ah!
Due to the (to me) confusing use of icons in the path, I did not notice that the left and right base locations are identical and thus fully overlap.
Site Admin

Zenju

Ah!
Due to the (to me) confusing use of icons in the path, I did not notice that the left and right base locations are identical and thus fully overlap. Plerry, 26 Oct 2023, 07:59
Not exactly identical, one is
D:\Users\Guy\Documents
the other
D:\Users\Guy\Documents\Entreprise
But both essentially contain the same file:
D:\Users\Guy\Documents\Entreprise\Fournisseurs\incendie\Entretien VMC + extincteurs - Raccourci.lnk
Not only that but one folder pair is reading, the other writing to this file, thous the conflict. If both folder pairs were reading only, then this would have been fine.

Alomphega

Hi Zenju and Plerry,
Thanks a lot for your answer, but none of you both seems to be right :
Both path within the alert are the same, one being read (see icon), the other being written (see icon too)... BUT they are NOT "left and right" location within FreeFileSync, this path is only on the right side while synchronizing, and this is why I do not understand this "part of multiple folder pairs" concept. Please Zenju, could you explain this concept a bit more ?
(BTW the links are well set as "link" and not as "follow")
Cordially,
Guy

Plerry

Why don't you start by telling us your left and right base location(s).
That is where the root of your problem is.
And then we may be able to point out where the overlap is.
Site Admin

Zenju

Why don't you start by telling us your left and right base location(s).
That is where the root of your problem is.
And then we may be able to point out where the overlap is. Plerry, 29 Oct 2023, 12:52
The position of the 👓, and 💾 symbols were placed as separators between base folder path and base-relative path to answer exactly this question. Cute, isn't it? ;)

That said I don't know how to explain the issue other than what I already said: viewtopic.php?t=10496#p41138
But then again, I'm also the one who wrote the error message :P

Alomphega

Hello my friends,

@Plerry : I answered exactly your question at the beginning of this topic :
The sync was an update :
from "D:\Users\Guy\Nextcloud\Entreprise" to "D:\Users\Guy\Documents\Entreprise"
This means :
Left path (left base location) = "D:\Users\Guy\Nextcloud\Entreprise"
Right path (right base location) = "D:\Users\Guy\Documents\Entreprise"

@Zenju : what you said did not take the paths I take, please take a look...
So I'm confused because I do not understand what you mean by "multiple pairs".
For me there is a "A" file on the left, and this "A" file have to be copied on the right if it is more recent, dot.
So why is there a "multiple pairs", which could mean there are multiple same files...
Why simply not update the right side file with the file having the more recent date ? Or at least asking the user to choose the one he wants to keep ?
I'm very confused in front of your error message, and believe I'm very sorry to boring you with my confusion !

Thank you very much to try to explain more, maybe my old and fool brain will accept to understand with some more help... Anyway, you know we already thank you very much to provide such a tool for us !

Cordially,
Guy

therube

D:\Users\Guy\Nextcloud\Entreprise
D:\Users\Guy\Documents\Entreprise
Looks to be different.

But if I'm understanding correctly... in the case of the .lnk file, it appears to not be the case?
D:\Users\Guy\Documents\Entreprise\Fournisseurs\incendie\Entretien VMC + extincteurs - Raccourci.lnk
So maybe "... Raccourci.lnk" is actually a (hard) link (linking of a .lnk file, which in & of itself is not a hard link ;-).)

Alomphega

therube, that is exactly what I do not understand : since the paths are different for my sync, why these "multiple pairs" alerts appear within the only and same path for the same files themselves ?