Feature-Request: A little more sophisticated directory locking

Discuss new features and functions

gumata25

I just ran into "Cannot set directory locks for the following folders" for the umpteenth time so I decided to finally google it and the best solution I found was to have a separate GlobalSettings.xml with deactivated directory locking and to pass it to FFS via command line (see viewtopic.php?t=650).

So I thought it might be time for a basic principle discussion. I have two suggestions for user convenience:

1.: It think it is necessary to have the possibility to turn off directory locking not only globally and not even just for each sync job but for each folder pair in a sync job.

2.: In my case I selected the "Mirror" synchronisation variant for the folder pair. Meaning I mirror from the read-only folder to a target folder. Why would FFS have to lock the source directory in that case? I don't get it. So I suggest to not lock it by default in the mirror case.

Is anything wrong with the assumption that these might be good ideas?
Last edited by gumata25 on 28 Mar 2023, 09:56, edited 1 time in total.
Site Admin

Zenju

1. => Agreed, TODO
2. => Another sync might write to the source side at the same time.

gumata25

=> 2. Ok, maybe I don't have the insight here so what exactly does directory locking do? Is it just for other sync jobs not to interfere? What about other processes then?

xCSxXenon

=> 2. Ok, maybe I don't have the insight here so what exactly does directory locking do? Is it just for other sync jobs not to interfere? What about other processes then? gumata25, 28 Mar 2023, 10:02
Correct. It is only so another FFS session does not run using the same location(s). It has no influence on any other program

gumata25

Ok, thanks for the replies at all!

HaugeO

For security reasons, I have the same wish: mirror synchronization of server drives with a restricted user (readonly service user) on a local NAS.
Thank you in advance!