Set choice: exit/summary/...

Discuss new features and functions

pilsit

I use FreeFileSync on different laptops to sync between them thru a central server. I use a different - similar - tool on mobiles to keep replicas on these.
When I trigger a sync on a laptop, I like to review the changes prior to synchronizing. So I fire FreeFileSync, and press <compare> which brings me the list of files/directories to be synched.
Since the last version/update, when I fired <syncrhonize>, I get at the end of the process a "bong" and the summary (actually only the graphs...). If the synchro process is long enough, I can select "exit" (for action at end of synch), but do not have that time all the times. So I end up with an "unnecessary" window, and the "bong" while the window could close silently.
Would it be possible to get a general >option< to select what to do at the end of the synch? (e.g. exit, summary, shutdown, ...)
Thanks

jeanpili

I agree with this.
The option previously existed in the sync settings; at the end of a synchro it was thus possible to keep the program open, ready to make a new comparison, without having to close a window of the previous sync.

Giangi

I'm voting for this too! previously it was possible to just "close" the sync window!
Eventually I suggest an option like "auto-close after X seconds"
Site Admin

Zenju

I'm thinking about implementing an "auto close dialog" checkbox directly on the progress window, but as a global setting. This would then require some means to restore the progress dialog from within the main dialog if former was closed accidentally. Maybe some "show last sync result" button or the like is needed.

Illioc

I agree with this.
The option previously existed in the sync settings; at the end of a synchro it was thus possible to keep the program open, ready to make a new comparison, without having to close a window of the previous sync. jeanpili, 16 Dec 2017, 15:15
I think this feature was removed in version 9.5.

I have a computer in version 9.4 and don't have the summary window, which is perfect for me, as I just need to compare, check and update several times a day..

The other PC is in version 9.6 and I've indeed to close the dialog everytime, which is a little annoying.

Ideally this parameter would be local to each batch, not a global parameter on application level.

Illioc

Yes I confirm the option is in version 9.4, I don't know why it was removed later.
"On completion:" then "Close progress dialog". :)

By the way, why aren't the older Windows available in Archives:
https://freefilesync.org/archive.php

Still found the version 9.4 there:
https://filehippo.com/fr/download_freefilesync_windows/78531/.

Illioc

The option is back in 9.8, as a checkbox.
Thanks!

"New option to auto-close progress dialog"

Giangi

This is great, but may I suggest the option to add a "time-out"? It can be helpful to see the results at least for a few seconds...!!!
Site Admin

Zenju

This is great, but may I suggest the option to add a "time-out"? It can be helpful to see the results at least for a few seconds...!!! Giangi, 18 Feb 2018, 15:14
Did you do a test? There already is a 5 second time out (For "shutdown" and "Sleep").

Giangi

Off course I did it!!!
The auto-close option is simply closing immediately the window.
In this topic we were talking about the "auto-close" and not the action like shutdown/sleep.

jeanpili

My synchronizations are usually short, so I had to search for the option to tick given by Illioc and ... do not miss it on the next turn!
Thank you in any case for adding it Zenju !

pilsit

The option should be set in the main preferences