Filter for all files in all subfolders?

Get help for specific problems

milehiguy

I feel like a dummy. I'm trying to compare all files (hundreds) in all subfolders of two folder structures that I THINK are identical, one root folder being on my NAS and the other a backup copy on an exFAT formatted WD hard disk. Whether I compare by 'File time and size' or by 'File content', the compare finishes in a split second as if nothing is even being compared. What should my Include filter be if I simply want ALL files to be compared in each of the subfolders? If I just use * as the filter, the root folder IS compared (by content for example), but not any of the subfolders. I've tried *\, *\*, *\*\, etc. and nothing seems to work. Thanks. p.s. I don't believe the fact that I'm comparing files on a NAS and/or external HD are the problem here

Plerry

If you want all files in the root and subfolders of the left- and right-location to be included in your comparison (and successive sync), the default include-filter definition of * should do the trick (provided your exclude-filter is empty or contains just the default exclusions).
If the comparison seems to finish in a split second, you likely have some other problem.
But, by having FFS show not just the delta's (and intended actions), but all comparison results, you can verify if the comparison has correctly compared all files you intended to be compared.
You can make FFS show the complete compare results by clicking the "="-button in the Select View section below the left-right comparison results window

milehiguy

Thanks for the reply Plerry. Two weeks later, but finally got around to testing this again. The folder tree that I'm comparing has 59 files in it's root. There are 1134 files and 36 subfolders in the entire tree. I believe the left & right sides (drives) are identical, but not 100% sure. When I compare with FFS using the default Include (*) and Exclude settings, only 59 files are compared. These are the only comparisons (rows) that appear after I select "=" for the complete compare results. So it looks like the root folder is being compared just fine, but no subfolders are being compared. i.e. I see "Showing 0 of 59 rows" when displaying differences and I see "Showing 59 of 59 rows" when showing all results. Sure wish I could get this to work. Any other ideas?

milehiguy

NEW INFO! I was sure I'd had no problems in the past comparing tree structures like this, so I uninstalled version 9.4 and reinstalled version 9.1 (Build: May 23 2017 - Unicode x64). Luckily I'd saved the installation .exe file. I did not have the problem with version 9.1 ... IT WORKS JUST FINE. So unlikely I'll be updating again until I see that this has been addressed in the Release Notes. By the way, I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit on a Dell XPS 8500 desktop.