FreeFileSync Logs

Get help for specific problems

telb8s

This program is awesome and so quick - well done zenju.
I do have 1 question though. I saved a batch file and it gave me the option to save logs, so I ticked the box and chose a path. However, no logs are created. Is this just for error logs?
I couldn't see anywhere else in the program for a log/report to be created. Am I missing something?
The ability to reference any changes would be really useful.

telb8s

I'm now able to save the log, but apart from it saying how many files it dealt with it basically just states that the sync was successful.
I do think a bit more information is needed, like how many files and folders were copied or deleted in either direction, and better still the path/filename as well.

vangor

TelB, were you ever able get additional data into the log file?

I have the same problem. I used the following entry in the .ffs_batch file:
<LogfileFolder Limit="-1">C:\Scripts\FFS-Van-Desktop.txt</LogfileFolder>
The C:\Scripts\FFS-Van-Desktop.txt file is never created even though the batch job otherwise runs fine.

However, the details for the job are still logged here:
C:\Users\van\AppData\Roaming\FreeFileSync\LastSyncs.log

Has anyone else had any luck with changing the location of the log file when running in batch mode?

See Ya!
Van

vangor

Never mind. I figured out how to create a log file in a folder of my choice. I didn't realize that I was only supposed to specify a path but not the log file name. My bad!

This entry works fine in the XML file:
<LogfileFolder Limit="-1">C:\Scripts</LogfileFolder>

And now a log file with full details is generated with a name similar to the following:
C:\Scripts\JobName YYYY-MM-DD HHmmss.log

See Ya!
Van

vrak58

I have a huge error log file, 99.9% of the messages are not errors but info like "\bla\bla\bla.txt created." The real errors are lost like a needle in the haystack. I tried adding the following batchConfig section to my ffbatch file, which did not help:

<freeFileSync>
<MainConfig>
</MainConfig>
<batchConfig>
<HandleError>Ignore</HandleError>
<LogfileFolder Limit="100">\ffstemp</LogfileFolder>
</batchConfig>
</freeFileSync>

wolfdogg

is that what i have to do to get a log, specify it in the xml file? im honestly not seeing anywhere to specify this, but i notice i had it working earlier last year. Hmm... how to get the log working? Where is it specified?

shai

is that what i have to do to get a log, specify it in the xml file? im honestly not seeing anywhere to specify this, but i notice i had it working earlier last year. Hmm... how to get the log working? Where is it specified? wolfdogg, 28 Jan 2017, 11:23
Are you talking about the log for a batch job? I would send you here to see: Schedule a Batch Job

In the Save log you either type in or use the Browse button to find the directory in which you want FFS to save the log to.

I hope that helps.