Allow multi computer syncs with multi-computer .sync.ffs_db

Discuss new features and functions

charliebrown

PROBLEM: When ffs is run, to sync machine A and machine C, using portable usb disk B as a middle man, the .sync.ffs_db file on B is useless as it is machine specific to the last machine that used the external hdd B.

This means ffs cannot move/delete files properly amongst other errors noted. The end result is that ABC cannot sync because they keep overwriting the .sync.ffs_db file on B.

PROPOSED SOLUTION:

1. When ffs is run by machine A, create ff_db on A and another on B. However, append machine A network MAC address to filename so it reads .MAC1.sync.ffs_db. This would therefore be a unique ff_db to machine A only.

2. When ffs is run by machine C, a new uniquely named .MAC2.sync.ffs_db would be created, which is unique to machine C.

This way, B would have 2 .MACxx.sync.ffs_db files and stll be able to truly sync with each machine including ability to move/delete without confusion.

I guess its similar in some ways to how Unison handles sync by creating a source/destination profile per pair.

Wouldn't above solution be quite simple and feasible to improve ffs so it can truly sync between multiple computers using a star configuration with B in the middle, without issue?

Pending an update with feature as requested above, I've created a manual solution.

1. AB - after sync is complete rename B .sync.ffs_db to another name such as machineA.sync.ffs_db

2. BC - after sync is complete rename B .sync.ffs_db to another name such as machineC.sync.ffs_db

3. AB - When syncing AB again, rename machineA.sync.ffs_db to .sync.ffs_db

4. BC - When syncing BC again, rename machineC.sync.ffs_db to .sync.ffs_db
This would allow B to be a central portable disk between A and C, while keeping the benefits of acknowledging moves/deletes.

Would be better if we could have .sync.ffs_db auto named with unique name for each machine. eg. by prefixing the machine MAC address or something like that.

Until then, will have to do this manual override to make ffs work with syncing multiple computers.

If you see any problem with this setup please let me know, and if possible to add this request that would be great.

thanks

JustAnotherUser

PROBLEM: When ffs is run, to sync machine A and machine C, using portable usb disk B as a middle man, the .sync.ffs_db file on B is useless as it is machine specific to the last machine that used the external hdd B.

This means ffs cannot move/delete files properly amongst other errors noted. The end result is that ABC cannot sync because they keep overwriting the .sync.ffs_db file on B.charliebrown, 09 May 2021, 02:20
I'm a little confused reading this and wonder why no one has replied yet.

Isn't that one of the most common use cases of FFS, to keep two PCs in sync using a USB stick?

Because that is exactly what I intend to do, synchronize a PC and a Notebook using a USB stick:

1. Work with PC
2. Two way sync PC <-> USB stick
3. Two way sync Notebook <-> USB stick
4. Work with Notebook
5. Two way sync Notebook <-> USB stick
6. Two way sync PC <-> USB stick
7. Work with PC

and so on...

This way I can then also synchronize changes made on one side (PC or notebook) while I was working on the other side and detect and manually resolve conflicts.

Or am I wrong?

Edit:
Additional info: NTFS is used on both the PC and the notebook. Is this then also required on the USB stick?

xCSxXenon

The db file is not specific to a machine, it is specific to the location it is in.

JustAnotherUser

According to this, @charliebrown's assumption is wrong and I can use FFS as I described?
Site Admin

Zenju

According to this, @charliebrown's assumption is wrong and I can use FFS as I described? JustAnotherUser, 07 Jun 2022, 15:14
Exactly.

JustAnotherUser

Thank you @Zenju

JustAnotherUser

Just to clarify a spontaneous backup idea:

Assuming I have the scenario outlined above, i.e. a PC, a notebook and a USB stick(#1) via which I synchronize the two computers via Two Way Sync.

Can I simply include another device, e.g. an external HDD/SSD or also another USB stick(#2), into the concept which I use now and then instead of the USB stick(#1) for synchronizing (of course also by means of Two Way Sync)?

That should actually work without problems, correct?

xCSxXenon

That would work fine

JustAnotherUser

Thank you @xCSxXenen