Sync fails on an MTP connection

Get help for specific problems

oleggorfinkel

Hello,

I tried to run a sync (mirror mode) on an MTP device (the external SD card on my Samsung Galaxy S4 phone), and the comparison works fine, giving me the correct list of files, but when I hit the Syncronize button, I get the following error message:

Cannot create directory "mtp:\OG (SGH-M919)\SD card\0.oleg.documents\Backup".

Error calling "deviceContent.CreateObjectWithPropertiesOnly(folderProperties.get(), nullptr)".
HRESULT: 0x80004005, Unspecified error

The "Backup" folder is the very first one in the list, so the sync is actually failing right away.

I can still copy files to that same destination just fine when I do it by hand in Windows Explorer, so I know that the MTP connection is, in fact, working and enabled for write access.

Please help!

oleggorfinkel

Cancel the above... I just figured out that this particular problem was due to the fact that the SD card was formatted with the exFAT file system. When I changed it to FAT32, the issue went away.

There are other problems that I've run into, however, that I will be posting as separate topics.
Site Admin

Zenju

Thanks for posting the resolution! FFS goes to great lengths to always show good error messages providing both high-level context information as well as low-level error codes. But with something like "Unspecified error" returned from the MTP driver this is all futile.

jite-gs

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 & new Samsung microSDXC 128gb evo plus. Same case.
After read this topic I formatted SD card by device. Problem has been solved.

gbmolina

In my case this did not help, I've formatted my 128 gb external SD card in the device and I cannot sync my music whatever I do :( FFS just hangs, no error msg whatsoever.
Samsung Galaxy s5, rooted, with sd permissions enabled, android 4.4.2
The problem seems to be the propagation of deletions from the PC to the SD card (using the "mirror" option)
Site Admin

Zenju

The problem seems to be the propagation of deletions from the PC to the SD card (using the "mirror" option)gbmolina
Could this be related to FFS's fail-safe copy option?

gbmolina

The problem seems to be the propagation of deletions from the PC to the SD card (using the "mirror" option)gbmolina
Could this be related to FFS's fail-safe copy option?Zenju
Sadly, no. I just set the "Delete files" to "Permanent", hoping that this will be the cause, sadly, it is not. FFS just hangs on this screen: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0c6jocn0h9at0or/Screenshot%202016-04-27%2019.34.45.png?dl=0
Site Admin

Zenju

So FFS only hangs for the deletions and the updates succeed?

gbmolina

No, sorry, I misled you, just tested creating a new file on the PC directory and it hangs again, this time on 2.26%. So it hangs whatever it tries to do.

gbmolina

The program hangs when trying to create "sync.ffs_lock" on the external SD card of the android device

gbmolina

Zenju, were you able to identify the problem? Sorry to nag you, but i would really like to get to the bottom of this.
Site Admin

Zenju

The lock file is unrelated to this problem, it's just the last status message that was shown before the hang. Next time FFS hangs you can create a crash dump file and send it to me for analysis:
https://freefilesync.org/faq.php#crash
Site Admin

Zenju

Unfortunately the dump file is corrupted, maybe a second snapshot will work.

gbmolina

Zenju, the problem is not FFS, it is within Android 442, all available methods to fix the write permission to the external card achieve limited success. Somehow FFS cannot bypass Android 442 limitation protecting the external sd card, even on a rooted device with sd card fix applied (both manual and NextApp's SD Fix)