Running ffs with System-Account ...

Get help for specific problems

volker01

Hello Zenju,
ffs running under system-account (Windows-Taskplaner - non interactive with user "system") i get errors cannot copy many files. (cannot read file, The file is locked by another process). Copy locked files in ffs is activated. It seems that copy with vss ist not active when running ffs with the system-account?

Testet with ffs 7.8, Win 8.1
Site Admin

Zenju

This depends, what (full) error message are you seeing in particular?

volker01

HEllo Zenju, here Examples:

[02:31:59] Fehler: Die Datei "C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.Word\~WRS{B123451D-51C7-4557-95A6-914BFE720183}.tmp" kann nicht gelesen werden.
Die Datei wird von einem anderen Prozess gesperrt:
Microsoft Outlook, "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\OUTLOOK.EXE"

[02:35:42] Fehler: Die Datei "C:\Users\user\Documents\Outlook-Dateien\mypst - Outlook2.pst" kann nicht gelesen werden.
Microsoft Outlook, "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\OUTLOOK.EXE"

[02:35:31] Fehler: Die Datei "C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\sk667fam.default\parent.lock" kann nicht gelesen werden.
Firefox, "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"

[10:44:24] Fehler: Die Datei "C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Current Session" kann nicht gelesen werden.
Google Chrome, "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"

10:44:22] Fehler: Die Datei "C:\jAnrufmonitor\lib\cache\classloader.cache.lck" kann nicht gelesen werden.
Java(TM) Platform SE binary, "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_66\bin\javaw.exe"
Site Admin

Zenju

Indeed VSS is not active for FreeFileSync! The reason is that GlobalSettings.xml is saved per-user in:

%appdata%\FreeFileSync

When running under the SYSTEM account it is saved in:

C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\FreeFileSync

volker01

Hello Zenju,

are you planning to change that? I think it's a good solution start ffs with the system account, because there are no problems with access to files and folders, independently of the individual user-accounts.
This also applies to CopyFilePermissions and so on. Is it a solution to write the globalsettings.xml to %systemdrive%\programdata\FreeFileSync ... ?
Site Admin

Zenju

The strangely long path is inded the SYSTEM account's "appdata", it is not defined by FreeFileSync but by Windows.

volker01

Ok, my workaround is to copy a edited globalsettings.xml to system account's appdata bevor starting ffs in my backup.bat.
But i think this should be better done by ffs. Maybe with aditional commandline switches for the ffs_batch? Or better in the gui "Save as batch job"? Two settings are relevant: CopyLockedFiles and CopyFilePermissions.

Who does this work in Windows XP?
In Windows XP i can't find a globalsettings.xml in C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\*.*
Site Admin

Zenju

In fact FFS has switches to manually choose a GlobalSettings.xml file. I should add this to:
https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=command-line
Attachments
command-line-syntax2.png
command-line-syntax2.png (32.99 KiB) Viewed 2921 times

volker01

Ok, that's it.
thank you Zenju