Copy file without comparison.

Get help for specific problems

jimbofoxman

I have several Access databases that are ever changing, lot of times just a minor tweak. That's where I seem to have the problems, on small changes. Source file doesn't always seem to copy to the destination. Basically I want to overwrite the destination with the source without comparison.

Is their anyway to force that?

JustAnotherUser

Thats odd, because especially Microsoft Access databases immediately get a new timestamp after opening, even if you don't change anything.

So I maybe it is important to know the following:
- Are the Access databases at the time when you want to sync them via FreeFileSync still open, maybe?
- Are it maybe Access databases, which are not directly opened by the user, but linked from one Access database?
The last scenario for example is used when the frontend database is located at the clients computer, but inside this database are references/links to tables in an Access database on the network.

jimbofoxman

Item 1: They are not open. Since I've been having this problem, I've been going to each machine and doing it myself instead of telling the end user to run the batch file.

Item 2: These are all Front Ends I am copying off a drive on the server to the C drive. Back End still resides on the server.

Yeah, that's why I was just thinking a straight overwrite option since anytime a database it open it changes the time stamp and can grow a little. Server is always going to be the most up to date copy.

Maybe I just need to create a good old dos style batch file.

JustAnotherUser

So you want the file from location A alway being copied to location B regardless of the timestamp or content?

jimbofoxman

Yes, that is correct. Because the database files are ever changing that to me is the only fool proof way of making it work.

JustAnotherUser

I would have to try this myself with FreeFileSync, because I never used it in that manner.
Usually I use standard OS tools/command line commands like copy/xcopy for such stuff.
Robocopy also is worth a view.

DrM

I could use forced copy of some folders on a local basis. Why run two programs, seems a simple option?