lost many folders and files when click "Update"

Get help for specific problems

neung33

Hi,

When I add folders to both side and then I choose "Update" that mean update data from left to right hand side.

The programs start to compare and pop up to ask me to confirm start the update process.

during the compare running, I found that the source folder at the original (left hand side), a lof of folders are disappeared. Also all the folder at the original (left hand), all the modify date are changed to now at the time I run the file sync program.

There are no file on the recycle bin at the computer that run this program.

This problem happen two times already at different of my customer companies and now I'm really headache to recover the data which is on the NAS (Linux).

What happen and I need the answer ASAP.

Thank you very much.
Neung
Site Admin

Zenju

In Update mode FreeFileSync doesn't touch the source side, so something else must have happened.

neung33

Please test and you will see what happen.

Thanks for your reply.
Neung

Plerry

I am amongst those that have been using FFS on a daily basis for many years now,
mostly running the Update variant, and have never seen the phenomena you describe.
So, you can say that I am part of the crowd that has been "testing" this an happily saw what happened: as intended FFS does not touch the source (normally left) side location or any of its content,
and updates the target (normally right) location to match the source, leaving any other content of the target location intact.

So, either your case is very specific (in which case you need to provide details),
or the cause is to be found outside FFS. The latter option seems to be the most likely.