Option to remove readonly attribute on destination files

Get help for specific problems

John41

I notice with FFS 8.8 (maybe earlier too) I often have files which cannot be synced properly.

After some digging the problem seems clear: If I have a file with the readonly attribute set, it will sync to the new location (backup) fine the first time. However, when I try to sync it next time it will not sync. It seems to be because FFS will not overwrite something with the readonly attribute set (yes, the source file is changing and yes the readonly attribute is always set on that source file, this is beyond my control).

I can see the logic for making this the default behavior. However, when it happens, I have to manually go and change the readonly attributes to get it to copy over. I would love to avoid that step, if I can.

Is there any way to configure FFS to remove any readonly attributes when syncing files?

Love your product by the way!
Site Admin

Zenju

FFS should already do exactly that. Of what kind is the target drive? Error message?

John41

Target is 2TB USB drive, NTFS. OS is Win7.

I believe the error message was about not being able to create the temp file on the target drive but next time I will get it exactly.

I just tried to reproduce it but now I cannot. I can see that the destination file's readonly flag is not being reset (it continues to be readonly) but it is overwriting which is what it would not do earlier.

Next time it happens, I will update this thread (or start a new one, whichever you prefer).

John41

I have the error again. The error text is:
Cannot write file "h:\DDrive\Some Special Filename.pdf.ffs_tmp".

Error Code 5: Access is denied. (BackupWrite)
The destination file is read only, as is the source file.

I look forward to any ideas you might have.

John41

I see the .ffs_tmp file is there (on the target drive) after I ignore and the sync completed (and it is flagged readonly).

That also seems strange and I suspect a clue.

JustAnotherUser

For me this Looks like a side effect of an anti virus software or similar.

John41

For me this Looks like a side effect of an anti virus software or similar. JustAnotherUser, 02 Feb 2017, 06:49
The only a/v software I use is what is built into Windows 7 (Microsoft Security Essentials).
Site Admin

Zenju

FFS only uses the BackupWrite function if the source file is sparse. To find out what exactly is causing the error is it may help to diagnose a Process Monitor trace for the time when the error occurs.

Theo

@John41 For me it's like this: I'm always very happy when I know that a headache will arrive any minute, and that is unfortunelately the case when I read your message: one must do too many things with a headache just to make something the same as a other thing. At least, that's what I found out: xcopy is just adding new files to a other disk, but this program also deletes, at least, if one wants to get rid of the files one had deleted, so that xcopy doesn't "synchronise" without a headache, but this amazing program is doing the job in a few seconds without a headache!

As a totally nitwit on these subjects I don't know why this in my case is happening perfectly without a headache until sofar. As a totally nitwit on harddisks I must say that the shops - where they want that one is just paying for one or the other box - and the internet are not very helpful:

if one is looking for a reliable disk he or she is just reading that every brand, whether it is WD or Seagate, has problems with disks that are crashing. And after this they are talking about raid this and raid that.

This with the result that I get a headache when I just hear the word "raid" = crashing = not what I want.

But I'm sure that there must be somewhere at this analoge world a specialized shop that maybe nothing has to do with the alarming internet that is able to sell a reliable disk to a totally nitwit on this subject without a headache.

I'm also sure that the clever people who make this clever program are very able to help you without a headache with the analoge information that you are waiting for in the here and now.

I wish you whatsoever a good day, hopefully without headaches!
Site Admin

Zenju

The problem is likely a combination of ADS and the read-only flag: Probably the same issue as disccused here: viewtopic.php?t=4652