Wrong symbols in the destination file name

Get help for specific problems

user512

Hi. Trying to sync (mirror mode) with FFS v7.9, and using the sftp upload through the network. Some of my file names in origin folder has 'tilde', the spanish accent symbol in file names like:

Leéme.txt (hope what I'm writing here gets to the forum correctly, should be the 'Leeme' word with the tilde symbol over the second vocal)

...and after syncing, the resulting file name is something like:

Leéme.txt (wrong unicode or whatever is called symbols in filenames).

Is there some way to work with this kind of filenames?.

Thanks for your help.

(by the way, if I send this file using filezilla and the same sftp account and file, it gets with the correct name to its destination, so it doesn't seem a problem of my sftp server in the remote computer).

Thanks a lot for any help.

edit: using Windows 7 x64 on origin and Windows Vista 32 on destination.
Site Admin

Zenju

FreeFileSync is using the UTF-8 encoding while your SFTP server seems to be set to spanish ASCII. Changing the server to use UTF-8 (which is what it should have been doing in first place) should fix this encoding problem.

user512

Thanks Zenju... you point me exactly in the right direction. SFTP server is not set to spanish ASCII but I found that a check mark in preferences for UTF-8 is not turned on. I'm using xlight FTP Server v3.8, and in the log for older version I see this at version 2.4:

v2.40
[...]
UTF8 is turned off by default. UTF8 can be turned on in the "[Virtual Serve Configuration]->[Advanced]->[Encoding]->[Enable UTF8 Encoding]"
[...]

For some reason they turned off UTF8 at version 2.4 and it is still like that by default, so changing that, now I have tested files are copied perfectly with the tilde symbol. Thanks a lot Zenju!.

insesa

I have this problem. Can FFS to use spanish ASCII? Would be good choice.

insesa

I am using SFTP with the FreeFTP program. The connection is correct. The problem is that the comparison is not real because the files with accents want to modify them. It comes out like a black diamond with a question mark inside it. Forgive my English.

I have modified the "GlobalSettings.xml" file by modifying instead of "UTF-8"?> I have set "ASCII"?> But it did not work. Thanks in advance.

pelaooo

I have the same problem as INSESA user. I used FreeSSHd software.

llt0rresll

Soon there will be a version that supports the ftp protocol (not sftp) and we will not have so many problems.
I think the GlobalSettings.xml file has nothing to do with setting the letters or symbols in your backup. See you soon.