Error Code 2: The system cannot find the file specified. (BackupWrite)

Get help for specific problems

nix

I'm doing a one-way sync onto a backup external hard drive. I get the Error 2 frequently as the sync runs. The files do exist in the source folder and insome cases (these are music files) one track from a whole album gets the error for no apparent reason

Any suggestions why this is happening ?
Site Admin

Zenju

Sounds like this issue: viewtopic.php?t=2316

nix

Hi Zenju... the link you gave leads to a post saying that the files were marked as coming from another computer ...' . My files are not marked in that way, although I'm not sure where in the Properties such a message would be displayed. I have compared the Properties of one file that was successfully copied by FFS and the next in the track list of the same album folder and I cannot see any differences in those Properties.
These are tracks within a music CD which I ripped to my computer, it seems inconceivable that individual files would have different properties..
So I'm still at a loss why this selective erroring is happening. Hope you can advise...

nix

I've attached a file showing a few of the errors... as you see I am also getting Error Code 3 for some for the files but it seems not both errors for the same file.
I found a Forum entry with Code 3 but there's no answer, just you asking the user for some diagnostics...
Attachments
ScreenHunter_07 Feb. 26 15.49.jpg
ScreenHunter_07 Feb. 26 15.49.jpg (90.86 KiB) Viewed 18538 times
Site Admin

Zenju

The problem are very likely broken ADS entries.
You can list and/or delete them with:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/streams.aspx

nix

Thanks, but I ran the Streams program and it's not fixed the problem - it did not find anything to fix.I'm working through my files which were hit by the error and manually copying them. Sometimes I can copy a set of files from one music album and sometimes I'm forced to copy one at a time bu the error.
What I don't know is whether or not I am perpetuating the problem ie when I try to copy them somewhere else I'll see the same set of errors come up.... any thoughts ?
Site Admin

Zenju

I've implemented a fall-back to ordinary stream-copy, this should fix this issue:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/eli28wpm2ldc0im/FreeFileSync_8.6_beta_Windows_Setup.exe

barryss

Hi,
I've got into similar issue with some files. Cannot process full sync.
Ran into this issue in version 8.5.
Verified in 8.6 beta, and problem still occures.
FFS_error.png
FFS_error.png (27.84 KiB) Viewed 17543 times
Any solution for this issue for now?
Site Admin

Zenju

Can you send a Process Monitor trace of the failed copy operation?
https://freefilesync.org/faq.php#trace

barryss

Hi,
Trace file sent today by email.
Hope it will help to solve this problem.
Site Admin

Zenju

For the file "._arrow-bottom.png" the problem is that the create operation fails on W:\ with "ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND". This doesn't make sense since the create disposition is "CREATE_NEW". My guess is that the leading dot in the file name confuses the network share. In general there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with FreeFileSync or Windows file copy, but the network share W: is at fault.

barryss

That's really strange. No problem with syncing to another location with FreeFileSync.
Files were problematic on this share, and this is really weird.
There is more files beginning with ._* and these files copies fine.
FreeFileSync is working fine, and specified problem isn't related with it.
I'll think of something with these files.
I really appreciate Your help.

peter0123

for me, the beta version fix my problems.
i copied from a synology nas to my local pc, hugh files makes problems, different errors. (BackupWrite..)