Automating RealTimeSync startup

Get help for specific problems

dworsky

I put RealTimeSync in my Windows 7 startup folder so that it along with FreeFileSync will automatically backup on particular file every time I edit it.

The problem: RealTimeSync requires me to press the "start" button in its app every time I turn on my computer. Is there some way for it to start itself, and not require me to click it to start it?

Thanks,
Edgar
Site Admin

Zenju

Add a .ffs_real of .ffs_batch as first command line arguments. Also: RTFM :D

dworsky

Z... thanks for replying, but I don't understand your instructions. Below is my command line and the batch file. Please put in exactly what I am supposed to add in:

"C:\Program Files\FreeFileSync\FreeFileSync.exe" "C:\Program Files\FreeFileSync\SyncJob.ffs_batch"

Attachment has syncjob.ffs.batch for you to edit.

Thanks.
Attachments
SyncJob.ffs_batch
(1.48 KiB) Downloaded 650 times
Site Admin

Zenju

If you didn't understand the instructions, maybe they were not clear enough and should be improved. What exactly did you not understand?

dworsky

You suggested above: "Add a .ffs_real of .ffs_batch as first command line arguments."

I would like you to show me by example, in my command line above, how exactly to do this and what exactly it should look like.

srjones67

"C:\Program Files\FreeFileSync\RealtimeSync.exe" "C:\MyConfig.ffs_real"

This was found in the help for FFS. Look there. There is a good help section on RTS.
Site Admin

Zenju

RTFM = "read the fucking manual"

"manual" in this case meant the help file

dwig

RTFM = "read the fucking manual"

"manual" in this case meant the help fileZenju
On 1/25/13 9:11 AM, Zenju wrote:
>
> RTFM = "read the fucking manual"
>

Gee, I thought the "F" stood for "friendly". ;-)

For what it's worth, here's my startup script, run at login time, for
FFS. (I have 8 different folders that I want to back up, so I split
them up to limit the amount of work any FFS instance has to do. Also,
this is a Windows Cygwin script.):

> # Part of FreeFileSync -- start the various sync jobs in
> /c/Admin/FreeFileSync_Stuff
> cd /cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/FreeFileSync
>
> # First, zip up the old log files to save space and directory entries
> # -m to move rather than copy, -Td2 to get files older than 2 days
> pushd /cygdrive/c/Users/Dwig/AppData/Roaming/FreeFileSync/Logs
> wzzip -m -Td2 OldLogs`date +%Y%m%d`.zip '*.log'
> popd
>
> # Now fire up the "listeners", at the "idle" priority
> nice -n 30 ./RealtimeSync.exe
> C:\Admin\FreeFileSync_Stuff\Realtime_Dwig.ffs_real &
> sleep 300
> C:\Admin\FreeFileSync_Stuff\Realtime_DwigUSB.ffs_real &
> sleep 300
> C:\Admin\FreeFileSync_Stuff\Realtime_Users_Dwig.ffs_real &
> sleep 300
> C:\Admin\FreeFileSync_Stuff\Realtime_ProgramFiles.ffs_real &
> sleep 300
> C:\Admin\FreeFileSync_Stuff\Realtime_Installers.ffs_real &
> sleep 300
> C:\Admin\FreeFileSync_Stuff\Realtime_Program_Files.ffs_real &
> sleep 300
> C:\Admin\FreeFileSync_Stuff\Realtime_Unix.ffs_real &
> sleep 300
> C:\Admin\FreeFileSync_Stuff\Realtime_Admin.ffs_real &

I started with this on an older computer, and the FFS jobs slowed things
down occasionally, so I put the "nice" in to try to limit it (and the
"sleep"s to avoid having all the instances fire off at once). Now I'm
on a new machine, and don't even notice when an instance starts up.

Don

srjones67

Now that's a scary script. Why in Gods name are you running RealTimeSync again and again and again. create a regular FFS sync for all 8 folders and run RTS once.

dwig

Now that's a scary script. Why in Gods name are you running RealTimeSync again and again and again. create a regular FFS sync for all 8 folders and run RTS once.srjones67
On 1/25/13 10:29 AM, srjones67 wrote:
>
>
> Now that's a scary script. Why in Gods name are you running
> RealTimeSync again and again and again. create a regular FFS sync
> for all 8 folders and run RTS once.
>

Because I observed that, when one file in a folder hierarchy was
touched, FFS appeared to scan the whole thing. Also, as I said, I was
on a slow computer where that scan could take quite a while, and looked
to be slowing down other things I was doing. If I were starting now, on
my shiny new computer, I might well do as you suggest, but what I have
works well enough -- it ain't broke.

srjones67

OK. So now your running 8 simultaneous RTS's on an old PC sucking up memory? I ran this command: I:\PortableApps\FreeFileSync\RealtimeSync.exe i:\DocsSyncJob.ffs_real and RTS started right up in the tray, I din't have to click start.

dwig

OK. So now your running 8 simultaneous RTS's on an old PC sucking up memory? I ran this command: I:\PortableApps\FreeFileSync\RealtimeSync.exe i:\DocsSyncJob.ffs_real and RTS started right up in the tray, I din't have to click start.srjones67
On 1/25/13 10:57 AM, srjones67 wrote:
>
>
> OK. So now your running 8 simultaneous RTS's on an old PC sucking
> up memory?
>

Well, it was old, but it wasn't short on memory; neither is this one.

>
> I ran this command: I:\PortableApps\FreeFileSync\RealtimeSync.exe
> i:\DocsSyncJob.ffs_real and RTS started right up in the tray, I
> din't have to click start.
>

Not quite sure what the point is here. The script I posted is one of
several that get run automatically when I log in -- I don't even have to
think about it. Again, if I decide to rework my usage of FFS, I may
revise or abandon the script.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

dworsky

"C:\Program Files\FreeFileSync\RealtimeSync.exe" "C:\MyConfig.ffs_real"

This was found in the help for FFS. Look there. There is a good help section on RTS.srjones67
SrJones... I saw that in the help file (after it was suggested that I RTFM)... but I was not clear whether the MyConfig part was a generic reference or a specific part of the expression. Does just MyConfig work without further reference elsewhere, or do I substitute some other word there?

Edgar

dworsky

Unfortunately, other than srjones67, no one has tried to give me explicit help. Will someone please be kind enough to look at my original two posts, which includes the exact command line I am currently using, and suggest how to exactly modify it to get FreeFileSync to start automatically without having to press the "start" button.

Using this does not work:

"C:\Program Files\FreeFileSync\FreeFileSync.exe" "C:\MyConfig.ffs_real" "C:\Program Files\FreeFileSync\SyncJob.ffs_batch"

Is "MyConfig" supposed to be replaced with something? Is just typing this whole string on the command line in the "START" screen all that is necessary or does something have to be added to the batch file itself (and if so, what)?

Am I putting the incorrect thing in my windows startup folder, maybe? I put a shortcut there to RealtimeSync.exe .

thanks,
Edgar

mfreedberg

Ok, hope this helps.
Think of this as two separate steps, each with its own setup.
You are going to use FreeFileSync to create your folder pairs and sync rules and logging and then save that configuration as a FreeFileSync batch file...let's call that "MySyncSetup.ffs_batch".

Scenario 1 - you just want to run FreeFileSync ONCE at startup
Create a shortcut or a .bat file in your Startup folder and configure the command line to call FreeFileSync AND your FreeFileSync batch file.
The command line in your startup menu item or .bat file would be:
"c:\program files\freefilesync\freefilesync.exe" "c:\myscripts\MySyncSetup.ffs_batch"
Modify the paths as necessary, alway include quotes to handles spaces.
This will run FreeFileSync once at startup with your FreeFileSync batch file and then exit - you will not press the Start button, because it will just run automatically!

Scenario 2 - you want to use RealTimeSync to run FreeFileSync as often as necessary to keep your backups current.
Open RealTimeSync, add the directories to the list that you would like RealTimeSync to monitor for changes, set your number of seconds to 300 or less, and then, in the command line area in RealTimeSync, enter *the same command line you used above in Scenario 1*.
RealTimeSync will call that command line when it determines it's time to run, and again, you will not be pressing start to get it all going.

Save that RealTimeSync config as "c:\myscripts\MyRealTimeSyncSetup.ffs_real".

Now create a shortcut, or a .bat file, in your Startup folder and configure the command line to call RealTimeSync AND your RealTimeSync config file.
The command line in your startup menu item or batch file would be:
"c:\program files\freefilesync\RealTimeSync.exe" "c:\myscripts\MyRealTimeSyncSetup.ffs_real"
Modify the paths as necessary, alway include quotes to handles spaces.

In scenario 2, you will run RealTimeSync, which will monitor for changes in the directories you specify, and when it runs, it will run FreeFileSync automatically with no user interaction.

And there will be peace on Earth.

If you need more detail on the steps or screenshots, please post here and I will provide some more assistance.

Once you have yoru

dworsky

Michael...

You are MOST kind to offer this detailed advice. I will do my best to follow your instructions, and report back.

Thank you SO much.

Edgar

dworsky

Michael...

I put ONLY a shortcut for the .ffs_real file in my startup folder... and that invisibly started automatic backups. Including a shortcut to RealTimeSync.exe no matter whether listed first or second in the startup folder always left the start window showing.

Thanks,

Edgar

mfreedberg

Edgar, the shortcut must include in its configuration the additional command line option passing in the ffs_real file you want to run, you cannot just start up RealTimeSync or all it will do is run in GUI mode, showing you the dialog you are seeing and listing the last set of folders you had asked it to monitor. It so happens that you have associated .ffs_real with RealTimeSync, which is why just adding the file to your Startup Folder works. I havea added an attachment with two example screenshots, just for further clarification.
Attachments
RealTimeSync Config Example.jpg
RealTimeSync Config Example.jpg (69.2 KiB) Viewed 13738 times

dworsky

Edgar, the shortcut must include in its configuration the additional command line option passing in the ffs_real file you want to run, you cannot just start up RealTimeSync or all it will do is run in GUI mode, showing you the dialog you are seeing and listing the last set of folders you had asked it to monitor. It so happens that you have associated .ffs_real with RealTimeSync, which is why just adding the file to your Startup Folder works. I havea added an attachment with two example screenshots, just for further clarification.mfreedberg
Michael...

I think I finally got it! (I was putting freefilesync.exe in the shortcut when I should not have.)

Thank you SO much for your invaluable and patient assistance.

Edgar

mfreedberg

Edgar,
I thought I saw an earlier post with an error you were reporting, and the error is an easy one to make.
You can only pass a FFS_REAL file to RealTimeSync, you cannot pass it a FFS_BATCH file.

So, once you have your RealTimeSync configuration up, the command line you include in your RealTimeSync config to call FreeFileSync will pass the FFS_BATCH file there.

I may just do a simple flow chart or image to help with this, but not sure how we would link to it for new users to help explain a very simple but very powerful feature in RealTimeSync + FreeFileSync.

Zenju - if I do this, and the content is useful, where could that be hosted? Or included in the Help File? Happy to write it, just not sure where it can be put for others to use.
Site Admin

Zenju

> You can only pass a FFS_REAL file to RealTimeSync, you cannot pass it a FFS_BATCH file.

You can in fact also pass a .ffs_batch file which will create a default .ffs_real config and execute that. But conceptually it's better to think in terms of .ffs_real as the native file format for RealtimeSync.

> if I do this, and the content is useful, where could that be hosted?

The help file tries to be short and succinct, so if you have ideas how it could be improved than this would be more useful in general since it's easier to find for FFS users than a forum entry. Otherwise a new forum entry with relevant keywords to make it easy to find via Google is also okay.

mfreedberg

Zenju, thanks for the clarification, I was trying to keep it as simple as possible given the confusion building around the sequence of events necesary to get this to work. It is all pretty simple once you understand it (grin).

Let me take another look at the content in the Help File, perhaps we can just add to the topic on setting up automatic sync or a separate topic for automating backups in general.

I am more than happy to contribute, given how much we are getting from this application!